INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chris

Reply with quote  #1 
When I play my baya it buzzes. How can I fix this? It doesn't seem to be from a damaged syahi but I could be wrong...
tugela_tony

Reply with quote  #2 
Is your tabla correctly tuned? Mine produced a buzzing sound due to being tuned too low, I had to put three straps over each tuning peg (two over each when I bought them). My tabla now tunes nicely to correct pitch, and stays in tune, and the horrid buzzing sound is no more.

hth
tony
chris

Reply with quote  #3 
Well, theoretically it should have been properly tuned; however, shipping may have had its toll considering they managed to crack both of my tabla covers!

I have no pegs for my bayan.
chris

Reply with quote  #4 
Hmm... I gave it a couple good whacks with my hammer and now when I play an open stroke it seems to buzz less.
tugela_tony

Reply with quote  #5 
duh!! got my baya and dahina mixed up, my buzzing problem was with the dahina (the little one!)

tony ops:
chris

Reply with quote  #6 
No other ideas? Can it be just a tuning problem or do I have a bad skin?
rapture

Reply with quote  #7 
if you're sure it's not the syahi, and you tried getting some nice even tension on the head, and it's still buzzing, then maybe there's some dirt under the kinar. if it's not that, and it's still buzzing, then you might want to replace the head.

-r
Bhagi

Reply with quote  #8 
Look for small cracks or places on the ink(saihi) that have come off. If you see it, put a small spot(very small) of superglue on the crack or the portion that is loose and buzzing. I've done it before and it has worked.

Protest Warrior sign.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.