INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mattm312

Reply with quote  #1 
Salutations all,

Just wondering if y'all have any favorite recordings. Be sure to mention artist name(s) and instrument (including voice). Raga/tala would be nice, too.

Thanks.
Kanti Dattani

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello Mattm

My friends and I who are music lovers, not musicians, are frequently asked by like minded ICM lovers, who regard the recording quality as important as the music, to compile a list of best CDs we recommend they should buy. (A list of CDs with EXCELLENT MUSIC irrespective of the recording quality will be quite different.)

We have awarded the following CDs four or five marks out of five for recording and four or five marks out of five for the music quality. (a majority rather than unanimous decision by friends). These ratings change just as our taste, interest and knowledge do. Not all CDs in my collection have been adequately assessed yet and therefore the following list will change and expand once the task is complete.

So, here is the subjective provisional incomplete list in respect of Cello, Dilruba, Esraj and Flute CDs, we recommend. Please let me know if you require further similar lists of CDs in respect of Guitar, Harmonium, Jaltarang, Keyboard, Pakhawaj, Piano, Santoor, Sarangi, Sarod, Saxophone, Shehnai, Sitar, Surbahar, Tabla, Tarshehnai, Veena, Violin, Vocals, Jugalbandhis and fusion.

Cello Nancy Lesh IAM1033 Multani Bhupali
Dilruba Dakshina Mohan Tagore NM001Yaman
Esraj Allauddin Khan NMCD006 Rageshwari (DilrubaEsraj)
Flute Hariprasad Chaurasia AV89004 Malkauns; KICC5172 Bhupali with Dhani;
NI5111 Ahir Bhairav; NI5182 Kaunsi Kanhra; NI5298 Bhimpalasi;
NI5365 Darbari Kanada; SP84689 Malkauns;
SNCD70396 Yaman and Shivaranjani;

Flute Ronu Majumdar IAM1053 Mian Ki Malhar and Bhatiyali; SWM006 Jhinjhoti; SWM059 Bhairav, Kedar, Charukeshi and a Bhajan

I like when people disagree with my selection!
I am not in music business and don't sell CDs. Cds are cheaper in US and India. I am in Leicester, UK

Kanti Dattani
email kantidattani@aol.com
musicslug

Reply with quote  #3 
'the raga guide' on Nimbus
raga Yaman by Z.M.Dagar on Nimbus

I never tire of these despite countless listens
bibhas

Reply with quote  #4 
Kanti,
Could you please post the album title and name of production company for Hariji's Malkauns (both) and Bhupali+Dhani that you mentioned? A google search with the record no.s you provided only returned your various posts on a variety of forums!

Bibhas
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #5 
Amir Khan- Malkauns & Hamsadhwani
- Megh & Lalat

Reply with quote  #6 
>>>>Bibhas wrote on 11.7.2008
Kanti,
Could you please post the album title and name of production company for Hariji's Malkauns (both) and Bhupali+Dhani that you mentioned? A google search with the record no.s you provided only returned your various posts on a variety of forums!<<<<

Hello Bibhas
1. Hariprasad with Zakir Malkauns SP 84689 57.56 minutes Indian Night Live Stuttgart '88, Indische Tanzschule - Chhanda Dhara Stuttgart Germany.
2. Hariprasad Malkauns (Alap only) AV-89004 44.47 minutes Flying Beyond Eternal Music PO Box 3612 San Rafael CA USA
3. Hariprasad with Subhankar Banerjee Bhupali with Dhani KICC 5172 70.51 minutes World Music Library Hariprasad Chaurasia Bansuri Virtuoso King Records Co. Ltd Tokyo Japan

I can scan the covers and send by emails if you send me your email address

(I also have 3 more Malkauns by HPC, 30 min Music Today A92086 - 44 min Oriental records AAMS139 Hari/Ramani CD and 39 min. Sense World Music SWM007)

Kanti Dattani
kantidattani@aol.com
ragamala

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kanti
I like when people disagree with my selection! Kanti Dattani
email kantidattani@aol.com
Dear Kanti

In that case you will love this post!!

Nancy Lesh (Kulkarni) dhrupad on cello - what can I say - it's like listening to a beached whale asking to be put out of its misery.

The Bhupali alap is not only lethargic but trite and without direction. It sounds like beginner stuff, repeating the obvious Bhupali phrases and without exploration of the raga. Even though I know Nancy Lesh has studied well and has a reputation, to me it doesn't show in this performance.

After a couple of minutes because she has no musical imagination in Bhupali she starts plucking instead of bowing.... Yuk! It perks up in the alap when turns to jor, but only because of pace. The "dhrupad" is like the ajj devoid of dynamic or rhythmic interest, and the pakhawaj accompaniment is pedestrian in the extreme. How in fact any of this can be called dhrupad at all is beyond me.

I know there isn't much competition for best of cello, but if this is the best then I don't know what would be the worst - even Saskia Rao must be better than this!

Sorry for such a rant against this recording, but I would place it towards the very bottom of my list of what to recommend anyone to listen to.

-----------------------
To redeem myself a little, I will say that regarding flute HPC has some great fuller-length recordings, as you say.

re dilruba/esraj, again a small field.

Ashesh Bandyopadhyay is the best I've heard - do you have his Rare Sounds of Esraj? Great Jaunpuri and good Bihag.
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #8 
earlier ZM Dagar's Yaman on Nimbus was mentioned. This has been reissued in a double box with Todi, which might also deserve a place on the list. On the same lable, Uday Bhawalkar's Shri and Malkauns is one of my favorites.
Nimbus published some damn good recordings, not only in the quality of recording, booklet etc but they seemed to be good at getting the best out of the artists. Another: Lalit by Ram Narayan.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #9 
After my last negative post I have been scratching my head for favourite recordings to redress the balance.

I think I can go back to two recordings that set me off on my jorney with Indian music.

The first is Vilayat Khan's 1968 Yaman (EASD1350 but I think later issued on CD) which to me still stands out as a favourite recording of this raga.
The second is the elder Dagar brothers (Moinuddin and Aminuddin) LP with Asavari and Bhairavi (A Musical Anthology of the Orient BM30L2018 - I am less sure if this has been reissued).
The Bhairavi here is the most beautiful dhrupad I have ever heard, and led me to appreciate and enjoy this music.

My later preference in sitar is for Nikhil Banerjee, there are just so many of his that are so wonderful I am at a loss to single any out, it would be like standing in a circle of friends and having to pick one out as your best. Impossible, but any of the live concert recordings are recommended.

I second Martin's choices, the Ram Narayan Lalit especially for its performance, although personally I find the Nimbus studio sound too dry.
I also recommend Ram Narayan's Puriya Kalyan recordings which are detailed in another thread.

Kishori Amonkar is a favourite of mine, two recordings I play often are
Ahir Bhairav, on Music Today CD Maestro's Choice CDA91006,
and one of her Bhupali recordings
(Raag Bhoop
Vilambit Teentaal : "eree aaj bhailava sukhva"
Drut Teentaal : "sahelare aa mil gae")
which is on a couple of reissue CDs I think including Recreating a Dream and A Journey (I think) - originally on LP 1971 ECSD 2702)

Of newer recordings, Kaushiki Chakrabarti has become a favourite of mine and her Senseworld music cd set "Kaushiki" Sense097 is worth buying just for the Rageshri.

As requested, this isn't a "Best" list, just some personal choice.
panchamkauns

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ragamala"
Nancy Lesh (Kulkarni) dhrupad on cello - what can I say - it's like listening to a beached whale asking to be put out of its misery ...

... It perks up in the alap when turns to jor, but only because of pace ...

... I know there isn't much competition for best of cello, but if this is the best then I don't know what would be the worst - even Saskia Rao must be better than this!
I agree fully, but the other way around: the alap I can at least stand to listen to, but the jor? Those phrases have nothing to do with Indian classical music!

I keep scratching my head over this. The cello seems wholly unable to render any meaningful jor-jhalla. So why not skip that part? Would it be so wrong to play to the instrument's strengths, not against its weeknesses?

Actually, she has a new CD out now. Full-length Bageshree. Recorded ten years after the recommended CD, so probably better. And I actually have this new CD. But I've never listened to it, precisely because I was so disappointed in the first one.

(Saskia Rao I don't think has any solo CDs out, just duets with her husband, who plays the sitar. Anyone know better? I would perhaps buy one ... but maybe not play it )

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragamala
Dear Kanti

re dilruba/esraj, again a small field.

Ashesh Bandyopadhyay is the best I've heard - do you have his Rare Sounds of Esraj? Great Jaunpuri and good Bihag.

Dear Ragamala,

Might you have access to any other recordings (than the commercial CD) by Ashesh Bandyopadhyay ? I recently stumbled across his Jaunpuri. Such unbelievable pathos !!

Warm regards,

CC
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.