INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sim90

Reply with quote  #1 
Interesting...
Do you think the same applies for learning indian classical?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5362670.stm
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sim90"
Interesting...
Do you think the same applies for learning indian classical?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5362670.stm
Ask a Brit. :wink:

A.

Reply with quote  #3 
Guys,

Yes, I think ICM does boost the brain, especially memory.
errr. What was the question again? :wink:

Andius
sitarjunky

Reply with quote  #4 
excuse me for being a nag BUT -

from my perspective this experiment looks a bit weak, not to say bull@#$%.

my humble critisism:

the children were not assigned randomly to "music lesson/ no music lesson" groups and their starting level was not taken before starting the lessons (of course these are 4 y old kids but still). there is no mention of the families from which these kids come from - probably those who have parents that can affored music lessons are better off in general then those who dont - money wise and inteligent wise (more money usually goes well with more inteligent and more well beined) - i mean just because the kids go to the same school doesnt mean they have the same socio-eco background. plus there are other dramaticaly important things like whether the measurements were taken in a double-blind fasion , how many children overall and so on is not mentioned either.
whether these factors were being controlled is not mentioned but it usually is mentioned if there is control.
last but not least there was no real control group which can eliminate critisism - no comparison to children who study something else which gives dicipline and intelectualy challenging like music - for example chess lessons.

haviing said all that - i do think music have an extra value to it and ICM in particular. there is a holistic approach in indian music that doesnt realy exists in western music or in the calture as a whole. but this experiment doesnt deal with that.

so my bottom line is dont take this study at face value. it seems that it doesnt give the scientist the right to clame:
Quote:
"It is clear that music is good for children's cognitive development and that music should be part of the pre-school and primary school curriculum."
im not saying that its not true, only that it relies on common sense rather than scientific data.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.