INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #1 
Myth or no?: I friend of mine states with certainty that if an out-of-tune instrument is played in the vicinity of other tuned instruments it will cause those other instruments to go out-of-tune. Will this effect work in reverse?

Myth: The first tabla set was a single pakhawaj sawed in half. Has anyone ever tried this?

Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know about that but it can produce insanity or murder if it occurs near me.
after you've sawed your pakhawaj in half, it's a lotta work to seal the bottoms and tie up the straps properly. You probably won't save any money by doing this, better to just get a nice set of tabla.
Drew

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aanaddha"
Myth or no?: I friend of mine states with certainty that if an out-of-tune instrument is played in the vicinity of other tuned instruments it will cause those other instruments to go out-of-tune. Will this effect work in reverse?

Myth: ?

well, I dont think it would cause the other instruments to go out of tune but, if the tuned and out of tune are played together it will create an out of tune sound giving the impression the in tune instrument is out of tune.

but, I think we all know this anyways

Always have 1 eye open
nautchwali

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aanaddha"

Myth: The first tabla set was a single pakhawaj sawed in half. Has anyone ever tried this?
The second myth is one I've heard a lot - it is in MHO an attempt at "Hinduizing" an instrument that most probably came to India through Afghanistan from the Arab world. I've also heard this process called "Sanskritization" which is a bit of a mouthful. The dance world is certainly full of it!

The first one I've never heard, but it seems acoustically impossible simply because being in tune (or out of tune) is culturally relative. Your in-tune sitar will not match my in-tune piano, and neither will be in tune with a gamelan. Which tuning would take precedence affecting the others and why? This can't be true.... :?
festus

Reply with quote  #5 

"Myth or no?:

I friend of mine states with certainty that if an out-of-tune instrument is played in the vicinity of other tuned instruments it will cause those other instruments to go out-of-tune.

Will this effect work in reverse? "

question 1 :No.
question 2 :No.
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #6 
Which musician tied his hair to the ceiling to keep from falling asleep during all-nite riyaaz?:

A. Ust. Alauddin Khan

B. Pt. Bhimsen Joshi

C. Pt. Shiv Kumar Sharma

D. Pt. Ravi Shankar

E. Pt. Kishan Maharaj

F. Tansen

Reply with quote  #7 
A. Ust. Alauddin Khan

Certainly according to Ravi Shakar while telling his American students about his guru in the film 'RAGA'.

It's probably ALL of them at some time. Unless one was a baldy.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.