INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
"Muhammad in the Bible - a Debate " - on the youtube channel "Zakir Hussain" -
Quote:
Zakir Hussain & Samuel Green Dublin 2013.
Thank you Zakir for the debate. You presented a clear 4 point argument that helped me to understand the Islamic position better and clarify my own theology.
I subscribe to several youtube channel, one of them being "Zakir Hussain", which periodically collects videos with Zakir Hussain as the main topic of the video. This is auto-generated by Google and was launched about a year ago. The idea is simple: "YouTube algorithmically determines the central topics in a video" and then sorts them in the appropriate categories. But however powerful the algorithms are, they will not work if the spell-checker is not turned on!

Google missed the opening slide of the video which announces a debate with "Zakir Hassain and Samuel Green" in Dublin 2013 and instead collected the slightly incorrect information that was evidently miss-typed.

Mystery resolved!

This video, also collected in the "Zakir Hussain" collection, is indeed relevant

Quote:
Rhythm Summit with Zakir Hussain, Giovanni Hidalgo, Eric Harland, and Steve Smith. Miner Auditorium, SF Jazz Center. San Francisco, CA. Pure Rhythmic Bliss.
It's only a bit over a minute long ... and it's presumably the climax of this "rhythm summit"; wrenched out of context as it is, the result is not very good.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #2 
I guess the debate was a typo?

As for the video - I feel zakirji's beautiful tabla gets lost amongst all the other percussion instruments he 'jams' with
I wish he would do more traditional tabla performances
Not a huge fan of all the fusion stuff and him playing with non traditional instruments - particularly when other percussion instruments are used

Just my 2 cents!

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"
I guess the debate was a typo?

As for the video - I feel zakirji's beautiful tabla gets lost amongst all the other percussion instruments he 'jams' with
I wish he would do more traditional tabla performances
Not a huge fan of all the fusion stuff and him playing with non traditional instruments - particularly when other percussion instruments are used

Just my 2 cents!
I think it's a somewhat embarrassing mistake for such a high tech company like Google to make. That a simple spelling error completely miss-classified the debate video strikes me as a bit odd. ...

Generally speaking I don't particularly mind all the fusion stuff, or the non-traditional instruments. It's just that particular clip that, out of its musical context, makes little sense to me. It's worth noting that the "non traditional" instruments are non-traditional with respect to ICM, but they are themselves quite traditional within their own musical genres. Theoretically speaking I think fusion of all kinds should be welcomed as potentially interesting musical experiments combining and recombining new and old elements together in possibly fruitful ways. That's how science often progresses, and that's how music I think can progress as well. But it's worth keeping in mind that the vast majority of experiments in science are generally dead ends, and so too I suspect that all sorts of fusions are ultimately dead ends, but it cannot be known in advance of actually doing the experiment in the first place!

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.