INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Nastika

Reply with quote  #1 
Just as the title says, is this something that is ever done? If not, could it be? What special considerations would need taken?
Nastika

Reply with quote  #2 
I am thinking a large dayan could have the kinaar left wide (so that it goes to the gaab like mridangam) and of course pieces of straw and grit/charcoal could be added under it for the jawari. But, the application of the gaab would probably be different. In what ways I am unsure. Also, I wonder how the vastly reduced amount of air within the drum would affect the sound of the vibrating puri, its influence on the gaab construction, and even the vibrating of the jawari.

any other thoughts or considerations?
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #3 
I had a friend some years ago who was from Kerala. His brother was a tabla player and once he took me over to his brother's house so I could see his tablas and what not. I distinctly remember that the dayan was just how you described...the kinar went almost right up to the syahi. That's all I can really remember, other than it sounded really cool. I wasn't quite into tabla as much then as I am now. So, I guess it's been done.
Acelga

Reply with quote  #4 
I am really interested in this idea. I like a lot to experiment with pudis and shells. I placed tabla pudis on clay pots with good results, and it would be nice to have a tabla with some mridanga-like sound.
I will try to get a mridangam pudi to make the experiment, but unfortunately I won
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.