INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #16 
"...Interesting topic! There are lots of variables and diverse definitions of what "meditative" can mean for different listeners. I'm interested to see what others think...."

"....Let me begin by saying that I also know very little about meditation as such,..."

"...Meditation happens only when you get rid of your mind and your thoughts..", Savitri L. Bess.

"...Meditation... begins with the heart"...- OM GUY

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OM
"...Interesting topic! There are lots of variables and diverse definitions of what "meditative" can mean for different listeners. I'm interested to see what others think...."

"....Let me begin by saying that I also know very little about meditation as such,..."

"...Meditation happens only when you get rid of your mind and your thoughts..", Savitri L. Bess.

"...Meditation... begins with the heart"...- OM GUY
On the assumption that there's still some interest in pursuing the topic of meditation and how it relates to indian music, I would like to suggest that a good place to start would be with taking a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation

for some definition of key terms and typologies. What becomes very clear from this article is that there's a wide variety of forms and functions of meditation and very many different approaches and school of thoughts about it.

One weakness of this article is that there's very little about the connection between meditation and music.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #18 
Another meditative piece is one that is performed by Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, namely--- Raag Shree. I have a copy:"The Genius of Pandit Nikhil Banerjee/ Live Concert Series 2."
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.