INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #1 
There's some knowledgable people on this forum. Just a silly question. Can somebody give me mizrab wire gauge size please.i believe it's piano wire. I just can't get a mizrab that's suits me, but when I do I tend to loose it pretty quick.
yak.a.co

Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Bakersbites786,
depends on what sound you would like to get from it. Not only the gauge is important, but also the accurate shape of the mizrab tip. What more, there are also diferent wrap styles, double mizrabs etc ... Maybe you should visit http://sitar-tabla.com/sitar-accessories.htm, surely Lars will help you then to work it out and also on the site you will find some infos. Btw are you experienced in making mizrabs? It is not so easy as it looks on fisrt sight ... the fisrt one (or first twenty? usualy takes lot of time and is not usable Ha
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the comment. There's no doubt in my mind in regards to Lars quality advise. I personally wouldn't know how to make a mizrab, however a good friend of mine makes perfect mizrabs but can't get the strng wire. Somebody said it was piano wire that they use. So I was looking for the gauge size. I personally prefer the hard wire with a slightly curved point.
Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
Piano wire works, .040 is a good thick wire. If you eve get one that fits right you can always send it and I can match it to your size.

Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Lars, quick related question...when I bought my sitar from you I bought one of those wire wrapped mizrabs, and you also included a couple free regular ones with the sitar. I used the wirewrapped one exclusively for most of a year and then managed to lose it...at which point I switched to the regular one (and have been there since). I noted what felt like a drastic change in tone...almost like the second mizrab gave a crisper, papery tone, particularly on the chikaris. I like it better now although it was strange at first. I can't compare since the first mizrab got lost but do you know what the wire differences might be between those two? Or might it just have been point/shape that accounted for the difference (assuming it wasn't all in my head)?

Dig your new double mizrab style, those seem to be a great idea.

Ahh, I'll bundle one last question in about mizrabs: trippymonkey gave me a handful of them with my surb but they are all too narrow for my finger...opening is too tight. Whats the best way to bend these to fit, generally speaking? Seems like an obvious sort of question but I wasn't sure if there was a trick to resizing them.
povster

Reply with quote  #6 
I measured a few of my mizrabs and they are either 0.032" or, as Lars said, 0.040". Interestingly on sitar I am currently the 0.032" but on the vin I am using 0.040". Go figure.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #7 
"...Whats the best way to bend these to fit, generally speaking? Seems like an obvious sort of question but I wasn't sure if there was a trick to resizing them.
I suppose you are thinking of "mashing" them down a bit to make the "wings" flare out a tad, to make it over the knuckle.

If I'm not being too lazy, I walk over to my tool box and grab a pair of vice-grips and adjust them just so...and squeeze. Since most thicker mizrabs are really "springy", I do this gradually until the desired size is achieved. On the other hand, if I am being lazy, I simply jam them into the drawer and give a good shove!

I don't know about anyone else, but my fingers tend to swell up one day and relax the next. That's why I'm a mizrab whore, I never have enough of them. What I did was I got myself a dowel 1/2" in dia. and 4-foot long and stuck a bunch of cup hooks in it and hung it from tjhe ceiling where I play, so I'm never withouit my favourite mizrab.... My teacher used to place her mizrab on the lower chikari post of her sitar. (Just a few ideas for not losing your mizrab.

I've totally given up on them "10 for a dollar" thin mizrabs, you know....the ones where you get a free book on how to play the sitar plus free strings, deal.
Lars does have some really nice ones to replace these cheap wussy-wires.

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nicneufeld"
Lars, quick related question...when I bought my sitar from you I bought one of those wire wrapped mizrabs, and you also included a couple free regular ones with the sitar. I used the wirewrapped one exclusively for most of a year and then managed to lose it...at which point I switched to the regular one (and have been there since). I noted what felt like a drastic change in tone...almost like the second mizrab gave a crisper, papery tone, particularly on the chikaris. I like it better now although it was strange at first. I can't compare since the first mizrab got lost but do you know what the wire differences might be between those two? Or might it just have been point/shape that accounted for the difference (assuming it wasn't all in my head)?

Dig your new double mizrab style, those seem to be a great idea.

Ahh, I'll bundle one last question in about mizrabs: trippymonkey gave me a handful of them with my surb but they are all too narrow for my finger...opening is too tight. Whats the best way to bend these to fit, generally speaking? Seems like an obvious sort of question but I wasn't sure if there was a trick to resizing them.
You can stretch them out a little bit, snap ring pliers work great but it will tweak the striking portion a little, a good thing if like me you wear it to the right but too much isn't good. I don't know the measurments of the reg. one if it didn't come from here but if they're really tight then probably they're from Kolkata, there's a good maker of them or two in Varanasi but they charge for it, most of the shops buy bulk ones from Kolkata. If you ever find your wire wrapped one send it to me and I can match it. The tone will be different between thicker and thinner wire, also how tight it fits has some effect. A lot of people in the West like the big elephant mizrabs as we call them which go way down your finger (1 1/2"+) but often while comfortable, you lose some tone so it's not in your head.

Lars

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.