INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
joshrudolph

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,

Question for those more experienced (most of you on this forum) about an identical issue I have with two student dayans—both of decent quality and from the same mystery maker, purchased in 2014 at Ali Akbar College Store. I've taken this question to my last two teachers, and they both thought it a bit strange.

The drums go down in tuning whenever resting, sometimes by nearly a half step. When I start a practice session, I can count on both of these drums being lower than where they sat at the end of my last session. The tuning then goes up—when not adjusted with the gatta/hammer—after I play for 10-20 minutes... So, if I do get them back in tune manually, they will be very sharp after about 15-20 minutes. I also have one higher-quality daya (Mukta Das), and find that it holds tuning much better, and doesn't shift semi-tones after light play.

Not the end of the world—they are indeed for practice, and my lehra apps can easily tune to their subtle rise—but I wonder if there's something I can do about this. Is this normal? Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks!
RobertMaya

Reply with quote  #2 
This is a very strange phenomenon indeed. I don't notice this in any of my bayans, but I do notice that after a bit of playing, the skin warms up and becomes more pliable and resonant. I have no idea what could be causing such a large drop in pitch that is then reversed; my old bayans only go down when I play them. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that the heat of your hand pops the skin back up to pitch. Try putting it out in the sun for 3 minutes, or next to a space heater for 1 minute-ish to warm it up like your hand has been resting on the skin before playing it, and see if the already-warm bayan has the same fluctuation in pitch.

I'm super interested to see what this does and I hope this solves your issue.

Best,
Robert
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.