INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
shuram01

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello:

Is it better to practice using a microphone? If yes what type of mic. would you recommend.
Thanks
Olemunati

Reply with quote  #2 
No.

BUT. It's allways good to change up your enviroment if you practise a lot. That can refresh your inspiration. I would recommend to use a mic just for the sake of trying it out. You can also experiment with delays then. Delays would function as a metroneome or as a "RELAMACHINE" since you get as many strokes you want from only one stroke.

Main practise routine should be done 100% acoustic, as I am sure most of the forum members would agre on.

PEACE

O'

Reply with quote  #3 
It is the most convenient to practice without a mic, and it is also the best way to improve your strength and sensitize your ears. I personally love the sound of the 'acoustic' tabla, and would never consider practicing with a mic as a regular do. But that said, using a mic will immediately expose a lot of your problem areas. For me it brought out the unevenness of my terekite's, the irregular gaps between dha and terekite in 'dha terekite' and my poor bayan control, among other things. Using a microphone and recording are two super good methods to spot subtle areas where you might be going wrong. If you plan to play on stage (with mic) at any time, it is imperetive that you have some experience playing amplified beforehand. The tabla sounds completely different when amplified, and it is good to get accustomed to it.
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "shuram01"
Hello:

Is it better to practice using a microphone? If yes what type of mic. would you recommend.
Thanks
Yes and no. Attach the microphone to a recorder and record your practice. Then playback and just listen. As zennman says, listening to a recording will be very revealing.

One thing that can happen is you can hear "in your head" what you THINK you are playing. Buyt then listening to the recording will reveal what you actually ARE playing. It is very helpful. It CAN be potentially discouraging but just ignore that part!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.