fossesitar

Reply with quote  #16 
Another possibility, avoiding what I would call major surgery:
simply get a small screw-in eyelet from the hardware store
and install directly behind the baj slot. As long as you position
the eyelet carefully (both up/down and left/right) it will serve
the purpose. Make sure eyelet is big enough to handle the load
(but not so big as to be unsightly), and pre-drill a smaller hole
so the threaded shank of the eyelet doesn't split the headstock.

Or - better still - turn the surb over to Tony the K for correct
and permanent fix that is done right by a pro.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #17 
That second nut strip makes the string angle to the first string peg EVEN WORSE ! ! ! The string bend at that second bone strip borders on ridiculous. I'm amazed that such a condition was set up like that, particularly on an instrument of merit to a heavy weight player like Khansahib. If you go that route, set up the slots / holes in stages so that the string forms a "facet" line like two sides of a stop sign. That would be the best route for this operation but certainly not my first choice. You would need an Xacto razor saw, small hammer and 1/4" straight chisel, some jewelers files, sand paper and coffee to cut a slot in the head stock for the new piece to be fitted. The bone bit, (the new strip) should be cut so that the sides are tapered a bit. Ya don't want it dropping down in to the neck. Drilling holes is self explanatory. Since your baby has 8 main pegs, I would absolutely go with the string / peg rerouting as I had suggested earlier. All problems are solved (clean up or make a new MA slot) and you still have a respectable 7 top stringer that won't go crazy on you or groan in pain.

Reply with quote  #18 
Quick question...if I did do a new Ma slot, would you recommend going to the right, or to the left, or the current chipped out slot, and should it be at any angle, as the first one was?

I suppose if I just reslot and lost the chikari, I could get this fella back in action...
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #19 
Personally I would go closer to the SA (closer to the other strings)
That way you will increase your meend range if anything. If you
follow "Tone's" advice and convert to a 7 string all should work.
Do not attempt to go too close to the original (chipped out) baj
slot and be SURE you will have enough string clearance if you re-
slot !! And remember: you can ALWAYS ease the baj slot a little
deeper but once you go too deep you are toast.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #20 
Cutting a new MA slot would be safest outside (meend side) of the original slot. There's solid bone on the meend pressure side of the slot so that issue is avoided. You will lose a tiny bit of meend range but there it is. If the original slot cannot be recut without it going too low then you could go crazy and cut out the entire MA string slot area about 3/8" wide and 1/4" deep. Keep the bottom of this trench flat, as in horizontal. The new side walls need to be tapered in just a bit. Now cut and fit a piece of bone or deer horn that will drop in and match the contours of the trench bottom and sides. Glue that sucker in there. When dry, file and sand the new drop in bit until it's flush on the front, back and sides with the rest of the nut strip. Cut your new slot carefully and get down to playing ! ! !

Reply with quote  #21 
Well gave it a shot, and so far, success! Put the new slot on the meend side for a few reasons...I've got plenty of meend range for what I really need as is, I didn't want to crowd the strings too much, and I was concerned that cutting a new slot on the string side because that little bit of bone needs all the strength it can get to cope with the sharp string angle from the peg as well as the magnifying angle of meends...didn't want it to chip out yet another bit of bone! Also the further that way the slot is, the less of an angle from the peg.

So far its been holding. If this fails, then on to more drastic measures...some sort of string guide to take the tension off the nut slot, going to a 7 string setup, etc.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.