INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mike hooker

Reply with quote  #1 
if anyone wants to see a warts and all video ( mostly warts) of me playing my veena, here it is:

its shot with one of those flip video cameras.

the chikaris sound a bit dead, my pinky nail split,and i had to cut it way back. ps- i now have a glued on acrylic nail, should have done it a LONG time ago, its great!
CarnaticConnection

Reply with quote  #2 
I have yet to hear it since my speakers are gone, but I am not joking when I say that you have basically the EXACT veena that I do haha. Very nice!!
povster

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey Mike! Good to see you playing the vin! My only regret is you did not show the sound on the lower strings. Any plans for that?

Yours fits you much better than mine. Looks like the gourds are properly spaced. Mine is still too cramped for me to really hold it properly. Hopefully that will be worked on in a month or so. Really the last thing mine needs.

CarnaticConnection

Reply with quote  #4 
Mine's the opposite of yours povster, my gourds are a little too far apart. Takes some work to get it comfortably balanced.
povster

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CarnaticConnection"
Mine's the opposite of yours povster, my gourds are a little too far apart. Takes some work to get it comfortably balanced.
It puts me in mind of Ramprasanna Bandopadhyaya (Vishnipur Gharana) and the way he held his vin.

Attached Images
jpeg Ramprasanna Bandopadhyaya.jpg (17.33 KB, 1 views)

mike hooker

Reply with quote  #6 
my gourds are just a little to far apart. i actually have to rest the dandi on my knee. if i rest the lower gourd on my leg, the upper is too far off my shoulder for comfort. they really cant be moved any closer, then the mounts would interfere with the tying of the frets. my gourds are 13.5 inches apart, measuring the space between them. the solution i guess would be larger diameter gourds. narrowing up the space , without moving the mounts closer together. the down side is i had to take off that drone string( whats it called). my knee interferes with it.

i could leave the drone string on if i rested the end of the dandi on the floor, but its not a very pleasant experience playing like that. i feel sort of chained to the floor that way, not free to move about as i wish.
i guess what you see in the video is how its going to stay. it can be played dagar style, but i found that completely unnatural and not at all comfortable.

i'll make a video with the lower strings, i just havent yet in my head worked out how to play them without sounding like total tool.
povster

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey Mike! I, too use an acrylic nail but I just use "sports tape" to tape it on. Works very well. Sometimes a glued on nail can cause a bacterial or fungal infection. From what I have read on that, it can be a serious thing and can cause the nail to be lost and take a long time to treat. Do a quick google on "glue on nail problems" or "glue on nail infection"
CarnaticConnection

Reply with quote  #8 
I am starting to grow out my pinky nail and so far it's going quite well! And povster, I'm still working on those recordings. Sorry for the delay!
mike hooker

Reply with quote  #9 
the tape on nail might work, i'll give it a go. got plenty of sports tape, its 25 years of ice hockey that killed my knees!
thanks
povster

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mike
my gourds are just a little to far apart. i actually have to rest the dandi on my knee. if i rest the lower gourd on my leg, the upper is too far off my shoulder for comfort. they really cant be moved any closer, then the mounts would interfere with the tying of the frets. my gourds are 13.5 inches apart, measuring the space between them. the solution i guess would be larger diameter gourds. narrowing up the space , without moving the mounts closer together. the down side is i had to take off that drone string( whats it called). my knee interferes with it.
Mike, try a thick piece of foam wrapped in some carpet skid padding (most hardware stores sell it cheaply in a small roll) for friction. Place that under the gourd on your shoulder. It will take up some extra space and also provide some padding for the shoulder. You can also lay a piece of the carpet skid stuff on your leg to help stabilize the jawari side gourd.

mike hooker

Reply with quote  #11 
i'm actually pretty ok with how it is. i like the intimacy of having the veena wrapped all around me. the cushions would take that away.

thanks

mike
povster

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mike
i'm actually pretty ok with how it is. i like the intimacy of having the veena wrapped all around me. the cushions would take that away.

thanks

mike
Actually, there is no intimacy loss at all. It sounded like you were trying to figure out ways to tighten the fit. But if its working now, then great. Let's see some lower string stuff soon!

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #13 
HOORAY!!!!!!!!!

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.