INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #1 
Here is me playing some of the classic/popular kaidas:

Can you guess which ones???

Anyway - listening to peoples suggestions I do try my best to get more out of the bayan.
I have moved the camera to try get a better sound recording (I don't know if it helps).

Anyway - I pretty much give the 3 kaidas I am playing all I got - I try to showcase my best playing - so this pretty much the level I am at -

Please bring on more tips and suggestions - !
Also any comments on what stage you think I am at - and what I need to work on next!
Cheers!

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #2 
Very good. Keep it up. As others have suggested and you have acknowledged, weak baya, but it will come.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"
Very good. Keep it up. As others have suggested and you have acknowledged, weak baya, but it will come.
Thanks hbajpai! Thanks for all ur suggestions too! I will work on that baya hand!

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #4 
Do me a favor, whenever you have time and the interest, position your camera centered on the baya where the entire baya surface with your full arm and fingers in focus. If you have to I don't need to see the full tabla. Half tabla is fine too.

Then attempt below written out in single speed. You should know all the bols. All bols are standard. No Tricks. Play as slow as needed but clear. If you need a recitation, PM me your email and I will send your a recited recording.

Gena Tita Gena Dhage Tita Gena Dhinna Gena DhaTir KitDha Gena Tita Gena Dhage Tinna Kena = 16
Kena Tita Kena Take Tita Kena Tinna Kene DhaTir KitDha Gena Tita Gena Dhage Dhinna Gena = 16
dinegine

Reply with quote  #5 
Since you have asked for feedback I will give my honest opinion.

I am making comments as I would to one of my own students in the spirit of sharing.

Firstly, I would suggest you need some specific tips for how to use the bayan. I think its not just a matter of it being stronger but being aware of the techniques and kind of effect you want to produce. For example, in this first kayida, for me there should be some 'punch' on the dha of the dhage phrase and re-positioning of the left hand in between the first dha and the second dha of the first line. When i play the dha of the dhage phrase my hand is between half inch and one inch further up the bayan and exerting some pressure)
Its very difficult to describe this on a forum without demonstrating it but it would be interesting to hear other' descriptions of this technique, they might be better at explaining than me, or may have alternative practices?
At the moment I don't see you attempting to create this effect which is needed whether it is strong or weak, if that makes sense.

Your right hand is coming along. For the dheredhere phrase your right hand needs to be much more relaxed and more movement in the wrist. You may need to do some exercises (off and on the tabla) to encourage this side to side movement. The timing of some phrases needs to be a bit more stable.

Hope you don't mind these comments, others may have more experience and more qualified opinions.
evening84

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"
Gena Tita Gena Dhage Tita Gena Dhinna Gena DhaTir KitDha Gena Tita Gena Dhage Tinna Kena = 16
Kena Tita Kena Take Tita Kena Tinna Kene DhaTir KitDha Gena Tita Gena Dhage Dhinna Gena = 16
Ahh.. the traditional Dilli gharana "Ghena Tita" kaida.
Can you verify if you have transcribed it right - the version I have has two of your phrases interchanged thus :

Gena Tita Gena Dhage Dhinna Gena Tita Gena DhaTir KitDha Gena Tita Gena Dhage Tinna Kena
Kena Tita Kena Take Tinna Kene Tita Kena DhaTir KitDha Gena Tita Gena Dhage Dhinna Gena

Also, one can play either DhaTirKit or DhaTrak. I remember reciting this baby ad-nauseum sometime last year.

If I may make a comment on the video : dhere-dhere - you need to dig in for that. It should have a grip, for lack of a better word. Play that a lot slower - you should hear each of the the four strokes Dhe-Re-Dhe-Re : nice and even. Playing it too fast at this stage is making it a bit superficial.

hbajpai

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "evening84"
Gena Tita Gena Dhage Dhinna Gena Tita Gena DhaTir KitDha Gena Tita Gena Dhage Tinna Kena
Kena Tita Kena Take Tinna Kene Tita Kena DhaTir KitDha Gena Tita Gena Dhage Dhinna Gena
Your are absolutely right Evening84. My mistake in a typing transposition. Thank you for catching it.

The correct version is as stated by Evening84. In my version phrase 5&6 to 7&8 in Bhari and phrase 5&6 to 7&8 in Khali are accidentally reversed. I am just not used to typing in single speed.

I don't want to edit my post, but reply to Evening84 here so that the context is maintained.

On the Trak versus Tirakit...

Trak, as I have been taught is the original, traditional Delhi. So, purist play trak. Tirakit is the popular style and you will find almost professionals use tirakit here.

Different topic on replacing trak with Tirakit or replacement in general. :-)

Listen to some mind blowing renditions of this Kaida by Ustad Zakir Hussain or Pdt. Anindo C.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you everyone - all your comments are spot on - and very helpful.
I appreciate all of them and all the suggestions - so thank you for chiming in

I have indeed got a lot of homework to do!

Evening84 and hbajpai - the kaida you mention I have learnt similar before - but in roopak - and was wondering if you guys have seen it before and what was your thoughts:

GeNa Tita GeNa Dhage DhunNa GeNA Dhage
DhunNa GeNa Tita GeNa Dhage TunNa KeNa
KeNa Tita KeNa TaKe TunNA KeNA Take
TunNa KeNa Tita GeNa Dhage DhunNa GeNa

Quite similar isn't it???

evening84

Reply with quote  #9 
It does sound very similar. It is not uncommon for a roopak or jhaptal kaida to be derived from a Teental kaida, so it is not surprising.
nobodypolishesthesun

Reply with quote  #10 
Hey . I created an account just to offer a couple suggestions, though I am no master.

To me, it seems like both of your hands are weak on the tabla... that other than the na/tin/tun, you are hardly playing. One of the first things my tabla maestro demonstrated was a very strong TiTe. A solid 'THWAK THWAK', first with the middle finger, then with the index (Delhi style). It was emphasized that both of this should hit right in the middle of the black dot on the dayan. Same for Tirakita, which I noticed for you is definitely not happening. It seems you are from different Gharana, judging by your tirakita, but I will offer the following suggestion, just as I would critique a video of myself:

It seems like with your Tirakita, you're just moving all from the fingers. As I was taught, the TiTe and Tirakita is articulated from the wrist, a side rotation movement like turning a doorknob. From reading the other comments posted above, I would be willing to be that your weak Dhere Dhere comes from your lack of solid wrist rotation foundation that comes from slowly, powerfully, and relaxedly practicing Tite and Tirakita in the correct way.

Obviously, I say 'correct' as that is how I was taught. If you were taught otherwise, then feel free to disregard this.

On the positive side, it seems you have good time and a solid grasp of taal. Maybe you are practicing too much, too fast? I know that although I want to play complex kaidas and improvise, the best thing for me to do is one or two kaidas that I know, for a long time, very slow. As a kit drummer and percussionist, I can tell you that the only way to play very quickly and very cleanly at that speed is to practice VERY slowly, with perfect technique and relaxation. If you play quicker than your abilities will allow you to play with perfect technique, you are simply ingraining poor habits into your muscle memory and actually sabotaging yourself.

These are all things I have to remind myself of constantly, so I hope they are of use to you.

Well done posting a video and keep up the hard work!
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #11 
Wow - thank you for your comments nobodypolishesthesun! I'm so glad you created an account and shared some tips! We need more comments from people like you on the forum.

You're right my hands are overall a bit weak - I need to play slow and really slam home those Tites and tirkitas - which can only be developed through slow playing
I will definitely work on it!

I havent had a tabla teacher for years - and am so glad I posted up these videos - and getting these very relevant tips!

My teacher did teach me bits of all gharanas - so I know what you mean by putting in some stronger wrist work.

I have been spending a lot of time leanin and memorising material - I think I need to focus more on performance - sound quality and technique -

Cheers!

Greg

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nobodypolishesthesun"
Hey . I created an account just to offer a couple suggestions, though I am no master.

To me, it seems like both of your hands are weak on the tabla... that other than the na/tin/tun, you are hardly playing. One of the first things my tabla maestro demonstrated was a very strong TiTe. A solid 'THWAK THWAK', first with the middle finger, then with the index (Delhi style). It was emphasized that both of this should hit right in the middle of the black dot on the dayan. Same for Tirakita, which I noticed for you is definitely not happening. It seems you are from different Gharana, judging by your tirakita, but I will offer the following suggestion, just as I would critique a video of myself:

It seems like with your Tirakita, you're just moving all from the fingers. As I was taught, the TiTe and Tirakita is articulated from the wrist, a side rotation movement like turning a doorknob. From reading the other comments posted above, I would be willing to be that your weak Dhere Dhere comes from your lack of solid wrist rotation foundation that comes from slowly, powerfully, and relaxedly practicing Tite and Tirakita in the correct way.

Obviously, I say 'correct' as that is how I was taught. If you were taught otherwise, then feel free to disregard this.

On the positive side, it seems you have good time and a solid grasp of taal. Maybe you are practicing too much, too fast? I know that although I want to play complex kaidas and improvise, the best thing for me to do is one or two kaidas that I know, for a long time, very slow. As a kit drummer and percussionist, I can tell you that the only way to play very quickly and very cleanly at that speed is to practice VERY slowly, with perfect technique and relaxation. If you play quicker than your abilities will allow you to play with perfect technique, you are simply ingraining poor habits into your muscle memory and actually sabotaging yourself.

These are all things I have to remind myself of constantly, so I hope they are of use to you.

Well done posting a video and keep up the hard work!
Good post... 8)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.