INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
samsarod

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

I have a small Hiren Roy tanpura which has an artificial substance used for its jawari bridge. It looks off-white, pale-yellowish in color. It's some form of plastic. In any case, it sounds great to my ears.

Although I play sarod, I have taken some lessons from sitarist Partha Chatterjee (father of Purbayan), and the jawaris on his Hiren Roy are made with the same substance. He's very pleased with the sound...

I'd like to start the esoteric craft of jawari ...but only for my tanpuras and sarod jawari. I have a nice large, 6-string tanpura without it's jawari finished, and I'd like to get it going. There are no jawari-walas anywhere near me, and I couldn't afford to ship and pay for the service in anycase.

Any ideas on what this substance is? Partha doesn't know, and Hiren Roy is near impossible to directly get in touch with for specific info ...at least for me.

Thanks!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Yep! The stuff is caled "Delrin". It comes in 1/2" or 3/4" sheets. Try to get a cutoff piece. Not cheap but great material. White or black is available. Other colours - don't know. You might also consider "Corian". This is the stuff that is used for kitchen and bathroom counter tops. I went to a cabinet shop and got the chunks from slabs that holes to fit sinks had been cut through. One or two of those "frisbee's" is good for a lifetime suppy and is in their dumpster for the taking. Comes in all kinds of colors, too. Corian is a bit brittle to work with but when set up as a jawari, does a nice job. My first choice is still Delrin. As a Sarod bridge, however, either of these materials would be too heavy. I found that the lighter the weight / mass of a Sarod bridge, the better the sound. To make this happen, you'd need to thin down the bridge almost like a knife blade and reeeeely flare out the bridge feet to standard dimensions. Good stuff to experiment with. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the info! Actually, I found a US company that seems to have really reasonable pricing for Derlin sheets: http://www.indplastic.com

I hear what you're saying about Derlin being too heavy for the sarod bridge (I'm sure it'll be fine for the nut/jawari though). I guess if the bridge is to heavy, then the vibrations of the strings may not transfer as fully to the skin head. I'll definitely consider thinning a Derlin piece out, and flanging out the base. Another option for the bridge may be Tusq (sounds really good in the acoustic guitars) ...it's seems as least as light as bone. I'm not sure if the company making it would sell blanks/slabs large enough for what I need. Regards, -S
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.