INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Lily

Reply with quote  #1 
anyone have any first hand experience with these instruments?

http://www.buckinghammusic.com/sitar/main.html
David Fahrner

Reply with quote  #2 
A couple of months ago, I bought a tun Rose Petal Mangla on eBay that had been purchased new from Buckingham about a year earlier and never used (!)...it didn't sound very good when I first got it, but after replacing all of the (rusted) strings, adjusting and polishing the frets, and a few more minor adjustments, and playing it for a month or so, it sounds great, and just keeps getting better (or are my sitar chops coming back after a 30-year break?)...workmanship and finish are first-rate...I would expect that a new Mangla from Buckingham or Sitars Etc. would would be a wonderful instrument right out of the box...

df

sitarman

Reply with quote  #3 
Lily, My main sitar is a left-handed Mangla Rose Petal sitar bought from Buckingham in the mid nineties. Great sitar! Loud and sweet. I had to do normal tweaking, but it played and sounded better than my HR from the git-go. The only change lately is I had Sitars, etc. do a new bridge- I replaced the bone with a synthetic bridge (OK bone fans, cut me some slack!). I was tired of having to tweak the jawari so often. So my experience has been a good one with the Mangla Prasad Sharma.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.