INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey there, 

this is for sale locally. Gandhar Pancham Sitars are very rarely sold here. 

I searched the forum and found that this maker is quite reputable but has had better and worse periods of quality during it's existance. 

Can someone with mor insight than me give me an assesment about this instrument. From whick period is it and is it a higher quality model or a enty level one? How do you tell with Gandhar Panchams anyway, since the trim-levels are not really different? The brass string-holder is something i mostly see with cheaper models... .

thank you. 

regards Michael

sitar1.png  sitar2.png  sitar3.png  sitar4.png  sitar5.png 

katyrow

Reply with quote  #2 
Take a look at this one, which I pegged as late-1980s:

https://www.vintagesitars.com/product-page/late-1980s-mangla-prasad-sharma-ustad-shahid-parvez-khan-gandhar-pancham-sitar

I think the one you are looking at is much more recent.

Lars is the expert on these from his days at Sitars Etc.

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Mangla had a period from the mid 90's to very early 2000's where he had hired some really good craftsmen. Most of the instruments from this period will be rather ornate, he made them for Buckingham music and also for my own Srishti label after Peter passed away for about 6 months in 2001 I think. So anything you see from him that looks like 'everything else' will be before or after that period being bodies purchased elsewhere. That's what he's doing now the last 15 years or so, he still does the craftwork on Rudra Veenas though.

When he was doing his own bodies and everything they were much thicker as that's the way they were ordered. To break in over time, etc. So if it's really heavy and a thick tabli that could be a clue. Can't guess anymore than that as I don't have the right pictures of the hardware but if I were to hazard a guess it would be post-2001.

Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
@Lars 

thanks a lot, as always: helpful and knowledgeable 

I might still have a look, could still be a nice instrument, who knows....It would be quite a drive though, therefor is asked. 

@katyrow 

wow, yours looks fantastic!

kind regards
Michael
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.