INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
This is quite a nice quick demonstration (less than 10 minutes) of some of the more popular keherwa styles around today. He has very nice control of the bayan.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Christianamr

Reply with quote  #2 
That
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
That
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Christianamr"

5) Mujhra style ( I hear Mujhra ... , but then again Mujhra might have different meanings :?: The one that I am aware of , is not so decent :roll: , Well , maybe he is talking about the historical antecedents from the Moghul era ... )
You piqued my curiosity with that veiled reference about a "not so decent" meaning of mujhra; so I had to look it up (in wikipedia among other places). It's really not quite so bad, although the word may also have negative connotations since it originally refers to a style of dance of the mughal era, but which devolved into so-called "exotic" dances and eventually became associated with prostitution. So it may well be then that there's a style of keherwa - the mujra style - that was associated originally with a style of dancing which it no doubt accompanied.

Far less decent is the possible origins of the word "keherwa" itself as it is related to the verb "kaharna" but which modesty forbids me saying anything more. (but the alleged definition of "kaharna" is in Jerry Leake's tabla book, page 237. I say "alleged" because I can't verify that this is true, and couldn't help but think that Leake included this salacious bit to see if anyone really was reading his text!).

Pascal

Nastika

Reply with quote  #5 
hmmm...now that's interesting. I found this saying kaharna means to groan, so I'm guessing I'm at least on the right track, lol! http://archive.org/stream/romanizedschoold00calcrich/romanizedschoold00calcrich_djvu.txt
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.