INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
theteacher

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

My teacher has told me that I'm to start on Malkauns this weekend. I'm listening to a NB recording and wondering about the Re (I don't hear it?) Could someone who is familiar with this raga please tell me how you play aroha and avaroha? Id like to start tuning and practicing the note positions and fingerings. I hear:

S g m P d n S - - With drone on Sa-ma

Thanks for any help.
westsea

Reply with quote  #2 
Check these:
http://kksongs.org/raga/list/malkauns.html
http://oceanofragas.com/
http://www.parrikar.org/raga-central/malkauns/
http://www.swarganga.org/ (need logon)
povster

Reply with quote  #3 
Malkauns has neither re nor pa.

The scale in both aroha and avaroha is

s g m d n s / s n d m g s

gha, dha and ni are all komal (flat)

ma is shuddha (natural)

sa and ma are the important notes

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
theteacher???
Might I suggest you do some reading up on scales of ragas before you start listening to too many first. Then you can be sure.

Nick
theteacher

Reply with quote  #5 
Great suggestions and thanks for your help. I found more than one pattern for Malkauns but the majority are without Pa and Re so that is helpful.

By the way, "theteacher" refers to 3rd grade teacher, not sitar if that matters.

Thanks for the help and I knew here would be a good place to ask.
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi all. TT:
Hope this helps (Otherwise please ignore it):

Malkauns could be somewhat difficult to listen because the main notes are Ma/Sa: This is a 5th interval (as Sa-Pa) and thus it 'makes Sa sound like Pa to the ear' (relative to Ma, Sa=#5): In the west this could be termed
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #7 
There is SAMPOORNA Malkauns. meaning complete as in 7 notes. I have a lovely recording of Smt Lakshmi Shankar singing this on my folders on mediafire. Check out the treasures post on the sitar forum for the link!

Nick
theteacher

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi all. TT:
Hope this helps (Otherwise please ignore it):

Malkauns could be somewhat difficult to listen because the main notes are Ma/Sa: This is a 5th interval (as Sa-Pa) and thus it 'makes Sa sound like Pa to the ear' (relative to Ma, Sa=#5): In the west this could be termed
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #9 
I have the same problem with Abhogi and Hemant. Sometimes the tanpuras will be tuned to Ma Dha Sa, Sa and I will hear that, because of the intervals, as Sa Ga Pa, Pa. It took me forever to realize my favorite recording of Hemant by Nikhil Banerjee was actually in a completely different tonic than I had assumed. As it truly is it is a bilaval thaat raag with emphasis on Ma, but I was hearing a Kalyan thaat raag with emphasis on Sa. Tricksy hobbitses!

I must say, for my inexperienced ear, I like a Pa in my raags for now! And either Pa or Ni in my tanpura!
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi all. TT:
Glad U liked it: I had a laugh w/ this ... & remembering once I was listening to it and reading about & thinking 'either the writer's crazy ...' then there was a staff-transcription & it just made matters worse ... then: BANG! - eureka!

OK, U may also like 2 try this (to ward off the Djinns):
U won't have 2 modify the tuning as you usually do 4 Malkauns (= Xtra Bonus!);
If you take the 2nd fret as Sa (WE know it's Pa, djinns don't!) then go for frets # 5-7-10-12-14 (Am assuming this on a 24 fret sitar, U'll have 2 adjust if yours has fret-gaps...).

Liked the result? Play it: there R a bunch of other ragas
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.