INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sung

Reply with quote  #1 
I have been puzzled by something for quite a while. Appreciate any help.

It is said that men sing ICM in C (1 kattai), C# (1.5 kattai), etc., whereas women sing in G (5 kattai), G# (5.5 kattai), etc. So, the number of 'kattai' (a measure of sruti) is higher in the case of women than in the case of men. However, my experience with my female teachers is that my sruti (C#, 1.5 kattai) is high for them and they cannot sing at my sruti.

Is the answer to the above conundrum that female sruti is one octave lower than male sruti? That is, is the G or G# of the female sruti actually in the lower octave compared to the C or C# of the male sruti. That is the only explanation I am able to think of. Is that correct?

Thanks.
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #2 
It is better to think of it in ICM terms. Say the average male kharaj is Sa (C), then the average female tonic is the Pa above that. So her madhya saptak range is from the males Madhya Pa to males Tar Pa. Now if she were to raise her tonic to Sa (male tar Sa, her madhyam) she may stuggle to hit the notes in antaras which would generally require her to go beyond the male ati-tar Sa in this instance ( it may be ok for those light ragas that are sung "madhyam se" or "pancham se".

So if she isn't willing to raise her 'shruti' to match yours, you must lower your base shruti in the mandra saptak Pa to match hers. A female voice is usually a 5th to an octave higher than a male voice...

Reply with quote  #3 
I got it.

They actually try to sing in one octave higher than mine (namely in the upper octave of my C# shruti), since my C# is too low for them.

For females and males to sing together (as during, for example, bhajans or doons) with neither feeling uncomfortable, what is a suitable, optimum shruti?

When I lead bhajans, I hear females complain that my shruti is "high" for them (actually, the upper octave of my shruti is high for them). Should I try to sing in F, so that it won't be too uncomfortable for them?

Thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.