INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
jsbhamra

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey everyone,

I just ordered a few Mukta Das tabla heads that I wanted to rehead on my old tablas. Since Mukta Das heads are some of the best you can get, I don't the heads to be amazing and the rest of the tabla/bayan look like crap lol. My plan is to polish/make new the shells. Any suggestions on that would be awesome as I know there are a lot of tabla players who do exceptional woodwork on this forum. I also wanted to make my own gattas for the dayan and wooden sticks for the bayan. I'm going to be making them by scratch and please suggest about painting them/carving them/design etc. Suggestions, tips and advice would be appreciated on that as well. One more thing- I wanted to get the nylon straps for my bayan ( they're more stable as I've heard some nice colors would be nice :mrgreen: lol). I've done research but I haven't found the best market/seller that sells them. Please let me know and I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks and God bless,

-js
Nastika

Reply with quote  #2 
when I last re-headed my dayan, I rubbed the shell with linseed oil. It really brings out a nice shine, but you must use a small amount, and let it dry until it isn't sticky. Lemon oil would also look nice, but wouldn't last as long.

On my dayan I have 3/8 inch nylon straps from http://www.dogbooties.com/products/nylwebmedwei.html These are originally for dog leashes, are very resistant to stretching, and have worked exceptionally well for me. They don't have a lot of colors though, I used black. Might I also suggest, a makeover for your rings and lids. Fabric can be quite cheap, and it really dresses up the instrument. I recently gave mine a makeover:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/morbo_photos/11-4002.jpg
jsbhamra

Reply with quote  #3 
Wow Nastika,

That looks AMAZING! How long should the length of the nylon strap be? For the bayan and dayan? And it doesn't allow you to choose the length for some reason. I LOVE the covers with the small wooden pegs-may I ask how you made them? I really appreciate your feedback. You've done an astonishing job.

-JsBhamra
Nastika

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jsbhamra"
Wow Nastika,

That looks AMAZING! How long should the length of the nylon strap be? For the bayan and dayan? And it doesn't allow you to choose the length for some reason. I LOVE the covers with the small wooden pegs-may I ask how you made them? I really appreciate your feedback. You've done an astonishing job.

-JsBhamra
Thank you so much! It does allow you to choose length with the 'quantity' option. Each 'one' is a yard. I seem to remember ordering 15 yards per drum, and had plenty left-over.

The small wooden pegs on the covers are buttons I bought cheaply at wal-mart in the craft section. I love them, by looping them around themselves, they make it faster to secure or remove the covers.
jsbhamra

Reply with quote  #5 
Does anyone know how to make the wooden gattay for the bayan and the dayan? e.g where to get that type of wooden, carving etc
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #6 
@Nastika

They look sooooooooooooooooooooooo nice!! Great job. Is that a fabric over the covers? I love that design. Hmmm...now you have me wanting to so something to mine......

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.