INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #1 
Well, we have our first guy trying to make a quick buck out of a tragedy.
There is a sitar for sale on Ebay that was signed by Raviji.
They want $15,000...Oh, but shipping is free....
Too soon dude...too soon...not cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-vintage-Sitar-signed-by-Ravi-Shankar-/271121458899?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f201926d3
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "cwroyds"
Well, we have our first guy trying to make a quick buck out of a tragedy.
There is a sitar for sale on Ebay that was signed by Raviji.
They want $15,000...Oh, but shipping is free....
Too soon dude...too soon...not cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-vintage-Sitar-signed-by-Ravi-Shankar-/271121458899?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f201926d3
Greed.

I can't even bother to look at ebay anymore for awhile. I used to put his name in the subject space nearly everyday, especially for signatures. For the last couple of years no more than 4 popped up. Now, today, .........50 show up.

Vulture capitalism I think it's called.

Reply with quote  #3 
I was also thinking how odd it is that Raviji would sign a sitar, knowing how he felt about having almost religious respect for your instrument.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
I was also thinking how odd it is that Raviji would sign a sitar, knowing how he felt about having almost religious respect for your instrument.
I would think that most sitar players are very careful about transporting their sitars around town, and quite possibly agonize over what kind of carrying case is best. And while I have no doubt that Raviji of course treated his sitar with the utmost care and respect, there were apparently times when expediency temporarily trumped other more lofty concerns as seems to be the case in this remarkable picture:

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1028/ravishankarsitarplastic.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is Raviji actually carrying his sitar in a kind of plastic bag!? Or is the sitar actually safely ensconced in what must be a very tight fitting case?

In any case, I found this picture quite charming and a kind of proof (as if proof were needed) that he did not always stand on ceremony and freely improvised when circumstances called for it!

Pascal

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #5 
Carleton

Truly no taste. AND look at the sitar. Look at the signature. It's a pretty mediocre sitar with a sloppy signature that could be easily forged. Seller CLAIMS he hosted Panditji Anoushka and troupe for dinner etc. Ok let's see some pictures, evidence, POVINANCE,!
I smell a RAT in some bad vindaloo here. :evil:

Hope he gets busted out and shut down.
Buyer beware!!!

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Hamletsghost"
Carleton

Truly no taste. AND look at the sitar. Look at the signature. It's a pretty mediocre sitar with a sloppy signature that could be easily forged. Seller CLAIMS he hosted Panditji Anoushka and troupe for dinner etc. Ok let's see some pictures, evidence, POVINANCE,!
I smell a RAT in some bad vindaloo here. :evil:

Hope he gets busted out and shut down.
Buyer beware!!!

Hamletsghost 8)
Not being an expert in handwriting analysis (come to think of it, I'm not even an amateur at it... but never mind!), my initial impression of the signature is of coourse completely meaningless, but that notwithstanding, it initially strikes me as possibly genuine (talk about hedging my bets...."possibly" genuine indeed!). Anyway, for ease of comparasion, the picture below is the sitar in question and below is (as far as I know) a genuine examplar of Raviji's signature (easily found online).

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5238/ravishankarsignature3.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Certainly the signatures are quite similar. What strikes me about it is the sort of ease and flow of the signature on the sitar in spite of the difficulty of writing on a curved surface! One could conceivably forge his signature with a lot of practice on a flat surface, but it seems to me that it would be extremely difficult to get a kind of continuous flow on a curved surface without making any obvious errors.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, what say you?

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #7 
Oh, I believe it is real.
I just think they are in Loonyland on the price.
And I think it is in very bad taste to try to cash in on someone, you apparently admired enough to host and get an autograph sitar from, on the day that he dies.
It is a little goulish if you ask me.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Oh, I believe it is real.
I just think they are in Loonyland on the price.
And I think it is in very bad taste to try to cash in on someone, you apparently admired enough to host and get an autograph sitar from, on the day that he dies.
It is a little goulish if you ask me.
I pretty much agree! I've noticed that there there's not been a single bid yet, and the asking price seems exorbitant to me. It also seems odd to me to have been close enough to have hosted a dinner for Raviji and coax a signature from him, only to turn around and immediately sell what I would have thought would have been a prized possession. On the other hand, it could well be that trying to practice on a sitar with Raviji's signature staring you in the face every day might well be felt to impose obligations to the instrument that might well be impossible to meet without the requisite talent! Far from being a prized possession, perhaps it was but a daily reminder of failed musical expectations, and $15,0000 is just for the "pain and anguish" of these grim reminders! ... or maybe.... they're just greedy!

Pascal

vbnautilus

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
Certainly the signatures are quite similar.
A little too similar.
Lars

Reply with quote  #10 
I seem to remember a few years ago RS signed a guitar for a charity auction or something like that so could be real but that's an expensive wall hanger for sure and I find the timing to be without taste also.

Lars

Reply with quote  #11 
Still Just in awe of how callous, tacky, & greedy someone could be.
I would still want to see proof of his story.
PLUS
I just zoomed in on the pic of the signature. Look close the sitar isn't signed!!
It's signed on the cheap a..... TOP toomba
Not only tacky very expensive wall hanger but what a gyp too
Some peepols gots no kooth :twisted:

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Hamletsghost"
Still Just in awe of how callous, tacky, & greedy someone could be.
I would still want to see proof of his story.
PLUS
I just zoomed in on the pic of the signature. Look close the sitar isn't signed!!
It's signed on the cheap a..... TOP toomba
Not only tacky very expensive wall hanger but what a gyp too
Some peepols gots no kooth :twisted:
Good observation that it's the "top toomba" that's signed, and not the sitar itself. But that strikes me as evidence in favor of its authenticity in that, as some have observed, that out of respect it seemed a bit dubious that Raviji would sign the sitar itself. To the extent that the toomba is merely an adjunct to the sitar, Raviji could well have signed it without any reservations. Indeed, the toomba should feel honored!

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.