INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #16 
Glad to see the pics. Looks like that peg hole was straight drilled, as in zero taper. Here's a slick and dirty quick fix. Wrap a piece of fine sandpaper around the peg shaft allowing a smooth overlap of the paper. Carefully insert this wrap job into the peg hole and twist the paper/peg around in the hole. Push in just enough to make contact and permit turning without the paper bunching up. Check the hole frequently and try the peg frequently to see how much better it grips. Don't get too excited doing this or the peg may end up going in way too deep. That peg shaft could use a little smoothing with the sandpaper. Also noted - the string as shown on the peg shaft has that nasty wire end pointing down. Two things can happen with that. 1. if that wire end is too long, it will scratch circles around the peg hole and 2. such a wire can stab your finger very easy. Give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Reply with quote  #17 
zachbram, at this point you have enough info to get confused or start focusing on the wrong things.

Please do the basics first:

1) insure the string is wound around the peg properly

2) insure the terminating loop at the tailpiece is made correctly. I posted a youtube video on that a few posts back

3) get the right chalk. If you can locate a local hardware store or art supply store and ask for carpenter chalk or sidewalk chalk.

4) with some medium sandpaper - say 200 or so, GENTLY sand the peg shaft to remove some of the waxy chalk and slightly rough the surface. You do not want to remove wood. Just a LIGHT sanding. Then reapply the new chalk.

5) Use a new steel (0.12" aka 0.305mm) string

6) either flip the sandppaer over or, instead of sandpaper, glue a piece of leather (soft side down) to your tuning bead.

These are the basic things that will fix the vast majority of problems like this. Only after that start looking into the more esoteric aspects. But please get the basics out of the way first.

zachbram

Reply with quote  #18 
Ok thank you all for the good advices! I will start with the basics and povster is telling me to!

Povster: My dad owns a store for wood, paint and mainly things like that and he never heard of anything called carpenter's chalk.
Havent yet been to a artstore, I believe we got one.... very small town. I never really go to the stores here.
povster

Reply with quote  #19 
zach - he may know the carpenter chalk as "line chalk", used with a line string to mark a straight line. The line chalk is a powdered version of the stick. But if the art supply store does not recognize "sidewalk chalk" tell them you are looking for a wax free chalk.

By the way, these chalks can come in different colors. White, red, blue etc. the color makes no difference as to its effectiveness. And you will see instruments sporting a little bit of these colors around the peg area.

I used to have red. When that ran out I started using blue, then white. All one so don't let color throw you!

zachbram

Reply with quote  #20 
Haha, thank you povster, the colorthing was actually on my mind...

Good to see that you have the USA flag on the sitarpegs ^^
Sitarismylife

Reply with quote  #21 
First of all, your string is bound too high on the peg. Try slipping it down 1cm lower. I had a sitar with the same problem. I remember putting small slivers of wood around the peg. That worked!
povster

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarismylife"
First of all, your string is bound too high on the peg. Try slipping it down 1cm lower. I had a sitar with the same problem. I remember putting small slivers of wood around the peg. That worked!
That is a good observation. Check out how much lower the joditar is on the peg behind. The main stirng should be lower like that.

Attached Images
jpeg dscn1143q.jpg (147.10 KB, 1 views)

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #23 
Seeing such a difference in the height of these two pegs makes me wonder if they are in the right holes. The MA string (#1) peg often has a single slice on the shaft to denote the first position. The second (bronze) string peg will have two parallel slashes on its shaft to denote the #2 position. Check this condition holds true on your sitar. If reversed, swap those two pegs around. Try it out anyway even if there are no marings on the peg shafts. You'll probably find things work a lot better as a result.

Reply with quote  #24 
thanks for all the feedback guys!
What I have done is changing the sandpaper, also used some sandpaper of the peg for that shiny ring. also the string isnt as high no on the peg. Now it holds MUCH MUCH better i must say. So thx everybody!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #25 
Welcome !

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "zachbram"
thanks for all the feedback guys!
What I have done is changing the sandpaper, also used some sandpaper of the peg for that shiny ring. also the string isnt as high no on the peg. Now it holds MUCH MUCH better i must say. So thx everybody!
Hooray!

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #27 
I'm glad things worked out for you!!
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.