INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #16 
I saw this on EBAY. Its cheaper then the mackie and looks like it has a 12" speaker. Anyone know about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-ch-CHANNEL-New-Complete-PA-SYSTEM-ALL-IN-ONE-w-HANDLE_W0QQitemZ170224225875QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170224225875&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1308#ebayphotohosting

Reply with quote  #17 
What about this one? Sort of a balnace between power and cost?

http://www.music123.com/Alesis-Transactive-50-Multipurpose-Amplifier-Mixer-603229-i1153181.Music123
Agape

Reply with quote  #18 
I bought the Alesis, then returned it in a week. I am not sure what the problem was, something very minute about the sound. It has plenty of power after charging it; almost 6 hours worth. My guitarist and I (Nylon guitar and sitar/tabla) played through it together and it was fine the sitar/guitar combo (except sometimes too mid-rangy - or too heavy of a bass string on the guitar at loud volumes) That leads us to the tabla. Again, very clean at low volumes - meaning about 20 people in a small closed room; it also works great as a monitor for live shows. But there is SOMETHING missing in the sound quality that is VERY hard to put a tangible explanation to. I would go with the Mackie - something told me that the Alesis was not made with sound quality in mind - even though it seems to perform okay. Sorry if just managed to make this topic even more vague : ) I am trying to help
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #19 
Thanks for the post.

One related question. What Mic's you av experts recommend for tabla? Again within the PA type setup for small venues. Also, Ideal would be a single mic between daya and baya.

I just know one mic and its SM57, but who doesn't know SM57 :-)
Agape

Reply with quote  #20 
Stering Audio ST-44 tube microphone. The ST-66 is good too - but that is more for recording. For the price THERE IS NOT A BETTER MIKE
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #21 
I use 2 mics for tabla sm57 for hi (step up to Beta 57 more transparent better gain attenuation) and Electrovoice N-dym ND468 fo the Bayan. I do not like using a large diaphram kick drum mic for lo's - gets WAAAAAAYyy too boomey & hard to control - The N-dym has a wide range 20hz to 20k & a great pattern, gives plenty of meat when you need it but controllable. The 57 is just a sweet old mic that stands the test of time- Where can you get that much pop for under a hundred bucks. Yeah if it's studio time it's a whole different gigue but for small to med live ya can't go wrong.

Hamletsghost 8)

ps: both are extremely road worthy - my n-dym is over 20 years old & I've got some 57's that are 30+ that still work great. b

Reply with quote  #22 
So, I got the SRM150 over the weekend. I am not ready to give a final verdict just yet, but I have some feedback.

My current setup is SM57 in channel 1. The cable I am using is a 1/4" and not an XLR and therefore, I am not ready for a full review. The RCA has my Lehra machine for now.

Form factor - great. Lightweight, compact, looks pretty sturdy and considering its got 3 inputs, really awesome.
Its LOUD!
Picks up Baya well as long as the MIC is positioned correctly. You have to play with it. Also, the Baya I have is a clay baya so keep in mind, its low to begin with. I intentionally included the clay baya in my setup.

Most likely its my cable, but with a 1/4", which I am using now, I have to get the MIC amp all the up and volume pretty high. I will swap it with an XLR and see how it works. I am saying this because SM57 is a loud, awesome mic and if I have to pump up the amp all the way, it has to be my cable unless of course the unit or the channel is bad.

Overall, pretty nice for a large room. Not sure how it would work in a loud cafe or outdoors.
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #23 
hbaj,

any luck with the XLR inputs? What the final verdict?

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.