INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #1 
This just arrived today from my usual dealer, Vijay, in Varanasi. I'd already paid for it when I was there earlier this year.
Not many seen around nowadays but what a beauty eh?

It had a bit of a knock on the way which loosened the joint between the sarod style midriff & the pegs section. Easy enough to fix & will be much stronger now, too. At least no damage to the toomba, gourd section !?!?!?

See what you all think, please. Anyone feel it's a bit 'over the top'???
Nick ARRIVAL 15 10 18 (1).jpg  ARRIVAL 15 10 18 (7).jpg  ARRIVAL 15 10 18 (9).jpg  ARRIVAL 15 10 18 (11).jpg  ARRIVAL 15 10 18 (14).jpg  ARRIVAL 15 10 18 (16).jpg  ARRIVAL 15 10 18 (20).jpg  ARRIVAL 15 10 18 (21).jpg  ARRIVAL 15 10 18 (23).jpg 

barend

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice! What is the normal tuning and pitch of sursringars?
And why is the fretboard more light in the low register? Is it copper?
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #3 
Hiya B.
Firstly - it was the flash that made it look a coppery thing. Check the other pics !!!
Not too sure on its tuning but, when I check the gauges by hand, it looks like it should start around the sitar pitch & go right down to surbahar's.
Just had to refit the upper part (pegs section) back in place but will finish it tomorrow, hopefully.

Nick
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Which other pics?

I have looked up some Sursringar clips on youtube. I really like the sound of it. Like a bass sarod or even like a rudra veena. Pitch seems to very vary with each player. Some tune in G others in really low D. Like this clip below. That one seems a lot bigger than most other sursringar that I see? Anyway looks like a really fun instrument to play. I guess not so difficult if you already know how to play sarod.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes That's Chris Dodderidge - I know him. Makes his own stuff. Bit bigger than mine though.

The 'other' pics show you the fretboard is uniform.
barend

Reply with quote  #6 
So you think he made that one himself and made it bigger than normal sursringars? The description below the video mentiones he got it from an India maker. Are normal sursringars always closely the same size (like with sitars)? Bit confusing to me.
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #7 
I imagine it might be similar to the surbahar, where you have had instruments being made with the intention of tuning Sa to anywhere between E and A, and their sizes varying (somewhat) accordingly. I know that tabli width of surbahars can vary between 16 (maybe even less) and 18+ inches. So in this case there is no exact "normal", and this may be the case for sursringar as well. 

povster

Reply with quote  #8 
As Tomek said, unlike sitars which are pretty standardized except for some rare exceptions, the size of the sursringar can vary considerably just as with surbahars and rudra vins. 
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #9 
The action was SO high at BOTH ends that I almost thought of trying it like a slidey Vichitra Veena ?!!?!??
Even though I've now dropped the action, I might STILL give it a try as Vichitra Sursringar ?!!?!!?

And why not, eh ?!?!?

Nick
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #10 
Would be interesting to note the tonal difference between pressing down the string and sliding on top of it. My bet is that there’s a bit more body to it when pressing down, but otherwise should of course work nicely!
barend

Reply with quote  #11 
I guess a sarod or sursringar is hard to play for a sitar player anyway? since you have stop the strings with your left hand nails to get more sustain and a brighter tone. For sitar these longer nails might get in the way I guess.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #12 
Will have a try by sliding & post a clip ASAP.

Nick
Christopher Sarju Seepersaud

Reply with quote  #13 
Can’t wait to hear it ! Did it crack bad at the neck joint from the jostle of shipping ? You mentioned a crack I think ...
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #14 
No Ji, it wasn't a bad crack & was easily fixed. The upper pegs section just slipped back into its 'hole', so to speak, & with a bit of glue is REALLY secure now.
Funny as I was just thinking about having a slidey, slidey on it today.

Shall report back ASAP.
Over & Out !!!
Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.