INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Taimur

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

I'm looking for a tabla ustaad in Pakistan (preferably Lahore) after having taken a few very disjointed lessons in India.

I've met a few teachers in Lahore, but -- without meaning any offense -- I'm not too impressed. The teachers I've encountered in Lahore appear rather clumsy in their playing, and do not have the refinement I've gotten used to from my old guru (Shailendra Mishra, who was fantastic). I don't think it's just a matter of the Punjab gharana's bolder style.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Unfortunately every Pakistani player that impresses me appears to have moved abroad.

Thanks,
Taimur
Betaji

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

What are the issues with your guru from India? Is it perhaps a difference in style, for instance
Gazals, Quawali? I am sure Shailendra Mishra is capable of showing you the ropes.

vbr
Taimur

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for your reply.

No issues at all with my guru in India, Shailendra ji was phenomenal. I've just happened to move back to Pakistan and need to resume my taalim there.

When I said my lessons in Delhi were 'disjointed', I meant that I had few lessons (5-6) spread over many months, primarily due to my intensive travelling regimen. Shailendra ji did a great job of getting me off to a good start.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.