INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey All-
this will confuse many, but to those in the know, it will make sense. Years ago I wanted Tony to make a Sitar for me. We did prelims and went over designs, but at the money point, Tony got taken aside to other duties and it got put on hold (Usually its the other way around). By the time Tony was ready, I had not 1, but 2 of the most choice Hiren Roys ever made. ANyway, Tony ended up making the now famous "Nevermore" for Abdul (Who I'm worried has possibly left this earthly realm). I always wanted his Sitar and begged him to sell it to me. Years have gone by at this point and I've got that hankering again. A quick search showed that this Sitar landed with a person named "SitarBob". Does anyone have a contact for this guy so I can see if he'd be willing to sell? Thanks for any help-Josh

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey Josh

See my PM

cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
I think the "Nevermore" sitar was for sale recently.
Then again it might have been "the Don".
I just know it was one of those natural wood Tony K sitars, and someone offered it for sale when I mentioned how much I wanted it.
I have always wanted the "Nevermore" sitar too.
It is crazy cool.
Ask Tony K, as he probably knows when one of these is for sale.

For those who do not know this sitar, take a gander.
It is pretty freaking sweet.
http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowBigPic.php?ID=IMG0150
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
I too am a big fan of its aesthetics. My first "love", so to speak, was a Bashir studio sitar from Lars that was done in similar trim...that natural ebony or rosewood trim for me is so much more beautiful than all the fancy white trim that is usually done. Sadly (but also perhaps fortuitously) when I thought I was ready to buy I found out it was already sold, and so I "settled" for another studio sitar, that turned out to be an absolutely lovely instrument.

Anyway, I hope more makers follow this trend and build more instruments along these lines. I wouldn't mind there being zero plastic, mother of pearl, celluloid, etc on a sitar I buy in the future.

Good luck hunting down your quarry!
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #5 
Actually I would not mind getting a couple of those Carved bird tuning beads.
That thing is the nicest one I have ever seen.
Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes I'd have to agree, really like the birds and the beads.....were they made by the shop or by Tony?

Lars

Reply with quote  #7 
Lars, Tony states on the website that the swan was made by the guys in the shop & then Tony spent a couple of hours fine tuning it with jewelers files and sandpaper.
I love that swan. It is so detailed and sharp. I wish someone over there would create parts for the sitar with this level of detail. I would pay the extra cost.
Most of the swans out there are all the same. They are bone and were made with minimal effort. Not very exciting.

Actually that is the thing I love about the KarasekSound custom sitars.
It is the attention to small details.
Everything is sharp and crisp.
The little Raven on at the nut is a perfect example of this.
In this picture you can see the raven and also the carefully made pegs. Also, Look at those peg shafts. Awesome.
http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowDetailPic.php?ID=IMG0150_DTL7

The part of this sitar that is amazing to me is the edge of the Tabli and the fitting to the toomba.
Even the old high end sitars usually have a rough edge between the tabli and toomba.
This area is usually covered up/hidden with celluloid decoration trim.
On this sitar it is so smooth and clean.
http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowDetailPic.php?ID=IMG0150_DTL9

I noticed this same thing on Tony's first "Made in USA" sitar too
http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowDetailPic.php?ID=IMG0205_DTL10

It is just nice to see sitars that were made with care and attention to the smallest detail.
Of course, in the end it is all about sound, but I would hope that someone putting this much effort into the details would also manage to ensure the sitar was a sound generating monster.

I say "Huzzah, Huzzah, Huzzah" to Tony for his dedication to creating beautiful new things, and helping to keep our old ones up and running into the future.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.