INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
martin1981

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,
I've been looking for a sarangi for the last month or so, but haven't found the right instrument yet. I'm in the UK but I've been looking at instruments all over the place, so would be interested in buying from Europe/USA etc.

Firstly I've received conflicting advice from different people on whether it's best to go for a brand new instrument or an older one. I'm a cellist so I'm used to the idea of cellos/violins getting better as they get older. I'm not sure if this applies with sarangis though, or if it's always better in terms of sound quality to go for a new instrument? I've seen several "antique" instruments which look really nice, but so far I haven't seen one that's in playable enough condition (many of them seem to be sold as decorative items).

I haven't liked any of the new instruments I've seen in the main UK shops so far (I also bought tablas a while back from one of the main shops, not to mention any names, but turned out the sound of one of the drums was sub-standard and needed to be replaced, so I've been put off and so looking elsewhere). I've seen some really nice instruments from http://www.india-instruments.de in germany, and was actually about to purchase one, but it turned out the particular one I wanted wasn't in stock for a few months. I'm looking to get an instrument fairly quickly. There's a possibility they may be able to ship one directly from India, but I'm waiting to hear back about that, so thought I'd check out other options as well.

So if anybody knows of any quality sarangi instruments for sale, privately or otherwise please let me know the details. Thanks in advance.
Kark

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

I'm a composer living in Toronto Canada, and I have about 6 antique sarangi's. 2 are unsalvageable, One is kind of cheap but okay, 2 are decent antiques, and 1 is very good (I'm keeping that one!). I realize now that the collecting has to stop! So I'd be willing to sell the two decent antiques. You can check out my site at http://www.markkorven.com, or email me at mark@markkorven.com if interested. On my site now, is a sound file of the sarangi that I'm keeping.

Cheers,

Mark
martin1981

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey there, only just noticed you made this reply, sorry! I've found a sarangi now, however I'm going to send you an e-mail because I was interested in some of your other instruments, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kark"
Hi,

I'm a composer living in Toronto Canada, and I have about 6 antique sarangi's. 2 are unsalvageable, One is kind of cheap but okay, 2 are decent antiques, and 1 is very good (I'm keeping that one!). I realize now that the collecting has to stop! So I'd be willing to sell the two decent antiques. You can check out my site at http://www.markkorven.com, or email me at mark@markkorven.com if interested. On my site now, is a sound file of the sarangi that I'm keeping.

Cheers,

Mark
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.