INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Dara

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,
Can anyone recommend good literature on the relationship between
Hindustani music and spirituality for academic research.
I'm undertaking a Phd in the subject

Thanks
Dara
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
Indian Music: The magic of the Raga by Raghava Menon is a good book in the direction you'd like to go. I used to carry it but out of print last time I checked. Maybe some used copies on Amazon, etc.

Nad: Understanding Raga Music by Sandeep Bagchee. Also out of print, I have a few copies left. More on the factual side but still addresses Rasa, etc. and very well written.

The Way Music, how to conjure with sounds? by Thomas Marcotty. Also out of print. A little too esoteric for me but may be something you're looking for.

Good luck.

Reply with quote  #3 
Check out Hazrat Inayat Khan

The books I have are "Music" (I am assuming it is out of print) and "The Music of Life" (in print). While each only has a few short chapters dealing with Hindustani music in particular, both books (and I am assuming other publications of his) speak in depth about spirituality and sound, which you may be able to tie into your studies as fundamental philosophies.

Best of luck on your research, such pursuits make me happy.
-Tomek
John

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CheesecakeTomek"
Check out Hazrat Inayat Khan
-Tomek
Agreed. His book 'The Mysticism of Sound & Music' is a fascinating read. Its a collection of lectures he gave (in the West) in the early part of the 20th century.

BTW, if you have access to JSTOR etc, there are a couple of published papers on this subject, as well as some other interesting publications on ICM as music therapy. As a slight aside, Prof. Martin Clayton & his team at the OU in the UK are worth looking at for other aspects of ICM, mainly relating to performance - I read a great paper by one OU doctoral student on vocalist's hand gestures!

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
Maybe a small point re Inayat Khan's book 'Music'.
He says how the snake is attracted by the SOUND of the Been. We know snakes are deaf & 'feel' vibrations through the ground & sway NOT by the music but because of the player's movements.

Nick
patricia39

Reply with quote  #6 
You will learn on that literature that the Hindu music is as old as the religion itself. It originates in the Hindu beliefs, tenets and the ancient Vedic philosophy. When I am meditating, I find Hindu music to be more calming compared to others.

by:
Essay

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Dara"
Hi,
Can anyone recommend good literature on the relationship between
Hindustani music and spirituality for academic research.
I'm undertaking a Phd in the subject

Thanks
Dara
Hello Dara. To undertake a Phd on the subject but not know references is difficult. I would suggest a few things:

First: THE WAY: MUSIC by Thomas Marcotty. He equates the music of the rudra vin to Tantrics in this book. It is out of print but copies are available but pricey.

I would also recommend going through the web site http://swaratala.blogspot.com/ - this is a blog but one of many interviews and thoughts on this music - some of it rather spiritual. You just have to start clicking on the blog links on the left and going through the various topics.

Jason

Reply with quote  #8 
Hello,

What an exciting subject! This discussion thread about books on ICM may be of interest:

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2762

Please post if you find some more interesting books!

-- Jason
povster

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Jason"
Hello,

What an exciting subject! This discussion thread about books on ICM may be of interest:

-- Jason
Hey Jason!!!!!! How be you? My rudra vin is now fully fitted and close to ideal! How be the sursingar?

Raga_Mala

Reply with quote  #10 
For all Indian Music learners, I'd recommend Peggy Holroyde's book "The Music of India." For this topic in particular, I will recommend the first section, called "The Hindu Background".
The foolish critic follows where he's told."
-Kalidas, Malavikagnimitra I.i.2
Trans. Arthur Ryder
Jason

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Jason"
Hello,

-- Jason
Hey Jason!!!!!! How be you? My rudra vin is now fully fitted and close to ideal! How be the sursingar?
Hi Povster!! Glad to hear about the RV! I'll post more about the sursringar in another thread. Stay tuned.
Dara

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks Jason,
It is a fascinating subject. The most rewarding written material I have found are interviews with the musicians themselves along with some autobiographies (eg Ravi Shankar's 2 books), see raga records http://www.raga.com/ and see 'artists interviews'

Dara
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.