INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
jklaic

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,
i am going to be backpacking asia/india for an extended period, probably about 12 months, and will be leaving my sitar at home.
Should i slacken the strings while i am gone?
Any help is much appreciated!

James
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
" YES " ! ! ! Relieving the neck tension is a good thing to do, especially for a 1 year tour. I feel an even more important consideration is the pegs. Leaving them wedged into their holes for that long without any kind of tuning (turning) will create a permanent press on the shafts ( oval now formed from round ) and a permanent oval to the peg holes. Oval meets oval. Not good ! If the taraf peg shafts are thinner than they should be, they may take on a permanent bend from string tension lifting them up toward the underside of the taraf eyelets if not periodicaly turned from occasional tuning. Definately loosen the strings and pull the pegs out about 1/2" . Baby will be waiting for you when you get back. I'd also put some kind of cover over the bridge surfaces. Any kind of cloth or folded paper towel should work fine. You might come home to multiple rust lines on those bridges if you don't. Have a wonderful trip. Take lots of pics and on your return, get on here and tell us all about it. All the best ! ! !

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks alot for you help!
Very much appreciated

James
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.