INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #1 
Unfortunately I will be without my sitar for a few months soon
Is there anything that I should do to it, such as detuning it, before I go? It will be just sitting in the same place in the case while I'm away.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
Why....you could simply drop it off with me, I'll take good care of your girl, in fact, I'm sure she'll be right at home with my girls!

Maybe some one else will chime in, but if it were me, I might have the notion to de-tune it slightly...but not all the way. It all depends where you are, the room conditions and of course, how long you'll be gone.

I would also think that if you could control the rooms atmosphere while you are gone... (like you said, if it's in a good case out of reach), you stand a pretty good chance of it being just as good as the day you left it.

I would be very interesting to hear what the rest have to say. Lucky for me, I've never had to leave the girls too long...

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi. Cckk:
I'd say detune it h-step (tarbs included), clean it (uncleanliness does build up inside the case) & make sure its kept from humidity + inside case & left upright if possible.

Once I left 3 strs & it's not that much humid where I live, but 5 months is enough to corrode & break strings as well as parts that contact them. Nothing happened w/ the2 I left wrapped on those colorful cloth sacks AND then inside softbags. The one left inside just the cloth sack is where the bad stuff happened.

Just 1 more thing: if possible get some fretted thing to play where U'll be staying so U'll keep yer callouses. Hope this helps + have fun!
coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks guys. I will be leaving it for three and a half months but I will detune it slightly before I go.

I'll see what I can do about the humidity. It does tend be quite humid here in the tropics....

I should have access to an acoustic guitar for most of the time, it's not the same of course but should stop my fingers from going totally soft. Having said that, I might have very sore fingers for a while playing that, I haven't played guitar in over a year!
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi. Happy 3,5 months. If (just throwing this opinion here...) U get that fretted-gizmo & go the Stevie Vaughan/Albert King alley your fingertips'll keep in shape - although your ring & pinky ...
..Have fun.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.