INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 6 of 6     «   Prev   3   4   5   6
povster

Reply with quote  #76 
I have to wonder what poor quintetuk thinks of all this. All the theorizing. All the BS. Yes, I contributed to it. Sorry I did.

You study this music. You listen to the music. You listen to the teacher. You practice. You play to the best of your ability.

Isn't that what it is really about?

Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #77 
Quote:
Povster wrote:
You study this music. You listen to the music. You listen to the teacher. You practice. You play to the best of your ability.

Brother Pov
HOORAY - You can't get simpler than that.

For various reasons I have stayed out of this "Topic".

Unless you are being groomed and have the tallent and the desire to be the next Ustad or Pandit of your Gharana, a performer of world class caliber, THIS is all we mortals can do is "to do the best of our abilities" for the love of the music - the art - the culture - the discipline - whatever is your motivation - your muse - the reason you torture your fingers - your body - your mind. All in the pursuit to create beauty - even if the only listener and critics are you - your teacher - and god.

And can we not ALL agree that the purpose of pursuing this artform IS the creation of beauty?
Read my tagline again:
Peace thru music.
Can we not find harmony and concensus in these simplest of concepts?

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #78 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Hamletsghost"
Quote:
Povster wrote:

Brother Pov
HOORAY - You can't get simpler than that.

For various reasons I have stayed out of this "Topic".

Unless you are being groomed and have the tallent and the desire to be the next Ustad or Pandit of your Gharana, a performer of world class caliber, THIS is all we mortals can do is "to do the best of our abilities" for the love of the music - the art - the culture - the discipline - whatever is your motivation - your muse - the reason you torture your fingers - your body - your mind. All in the pursuit to create beauty - even if the only listener and critics are you - your teacher - and god.

And can we not ALL agree that the purpose of pursuing this artform IS the creation of beauty?
Read my tagline again:
Peace thru music.
Can we not find harmony and concensus in these simplest of concepts?

Hamletsghost 8)
So what happens if "you study this music. You listen to the music. You listen to the teacher. You practice. You play to the best of your ability" and you discover that your teacher is inadequate, or that's not enough to fuel your intense passion or curiosity? Even people who indulge in sports are sometime required to think about what they do, to direct or encourage others, and to have dialogue with others of a like-minded pursuit. In the long run I believe they are better sportsmen for making the effort to verbalize their profession.
But hey, I won't hold it against anyone who only wants music as a means of escape. Though I have to ask; why are you even here, and why do you feel that you anything to say? It's like the TV - if you don't like the programming you can switch the channel or turn it off.

But I firmly resent anyone who would discourage others from attempting to engage in thoughtful dialogue even if it's not agreeable to you.
CarnaticConnection

Reply with quote  #79 
Well Bill, then you just keep trying if one teacher doesn't suit you. The only reason many of us are here is because we love this music. A lot of us are talking because, even though we don't like to argue, we see points made that we don't think are correct and in the spirit of the music, we try to fix them.

Let me turn the question around: Why are you here?
Bill

Reply with quote  #80 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CarnaticConnection"
A lot of us are talking because, even though we don't like to argue, we see points made that we don't think are correct and in the spirit of the music, we try to fix them.
In this purpose we agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CarnaticConnection"
Let me turn the question around: Why are you here?
For the same reason you are I assume. At least we haven't discouraged each other from voicing our personal opinions.

p.s. Beauty or not, thank God that consensus is not a prerequisite to art.
povster

Reply with quote  #81 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bill"
So what happens if "you study this music. You listen to the music. You listen to the teacher. You practice. You play to the best of your ability" and you discover that your teacher is inadequate, or that's not enough to fuel your intense passion or curiosity?
Then is it time to examine things and come to a decision.

What happens if "you study this music. You listen to the music. You listen to the teacher. You practice. You play to the best of your ability" and you discover that your teacher is adequate, and your intense passion or curiosity is fueled?

Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #82 
AH MY OL' FRIEND BILL
Precisely why I have stayed out of this. I truely believe povster had stated a good concept that we could all agree upon and I elaborated on what should have been simple ideals (sigh) I see it just will never be - Too Bad - a lost opportunity.

And Bill
WHEN did I - ME - HAMLETSGHOST - EVER shy away from a good flaming discussion :twisted: - YOU of all people know I LOVE to engage in witty repartee and play cat & mouse with both barrells blazing - thru logic - verifiable facts - direct quotes - and stubborn detirmination. When have you EVER known me to quell discourse - insiteful dialogue - even raging diatribes until the LAST dead horse has been beaten :?:
TRY and discourage YOU from voicing a personal opinion
NOT BLOODY LIKELY :!:
I LOVE THE RIDE

My Brother if you want to have at it - RAGE ON - I enjoy the reading and watching the fireworks Always good for a laugh if nothing else. It's just at the point I'm at right now I'm a little too tired in body mind & spirit to join in the fun except as a minor voice of reason - friendship & brotherhood - say - to help everyone pause the discussion & cleanse the perverbial pallatte.

Great Googamooga, can't you hear me talkin' to ya baby
just a Ball of Confusion,
that's what the world is today, hey hey
RAP ON BROTHER RAP ON

Your Pal
Hamletsghost 8)

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.