INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #16 
Ahhh yes - so it's an x to the power of 3 equation -
That is a very very steep curve !!

If you can clamp your body and tablas down on the moon - will be interesting to see how it will sound - does the moon provide a natural sound amplification effect?

You may have to play with gloves - I believe skin exposure is a no no?

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"
Ahhh yes - so it's an x to the power of 3 equation -
That is a very very steep curve !!

If you can clamp your body and tablas down on the moon - will be interesting to see how it will sound - does the moon provide a natural sound amplification effect?

You may have to play with gloves - I believe skin exposure is a no no?
oops.... I forgot about that ... no atmosphere on the moon ... hence no soundwaves ... damn, foiled again! ... I guess I need some sort of pressurized cabin ... and lots of sunscreen ... with an SPF of about a million!

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "fdf"
My teacher always tell me that at the beginning of my ryaz I should play
terekete taketake for a good 15-20 minutes at different speeds.
He showed me also these two exercises:
- from very slow and gradually increasing and then goin' back to slow
- on a middle speed starting with soft bols gradually increasing the volume
He insists on concentrating closely on the weight I put on the fingers.
I've been doing that trkt exercise above ever since I started practicing again, but the last few weeks I've been playing around with a small variation which goes like this ...

terekete take
terekete tinke
terekete tunke

If nothing else, it relieves the boredom of the first version; but it might also help with improving accuracy in that you have to keep focusing on doing ta ... tin ... tun instead of mindlessly doing take take over and over again; and finally it kind of sounds cool!

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
fdf

Reply with quote  #19 
Goin' between ta and tin sounds nice. It slows me down a lot, cause ta e tin require different pressure of the index, but sounds nice indeed.
On the other hand I don't really get the tun part. Need more practicing, though!

When I get bored with simple Terekete taketake I also change it a bit.
Could be Terekete taketake taketere ketetake
or adding a Dha or Dhage at the beginning. Simple things.

But after a while the best way to me is to practice a kayda where that variation is used.
My teacher is not happy with my terekete. And if I think that terekete was the subject of the very first lesson I took in India a few years ago....!
pbercker

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "fdf"
Goin' between ta and tin sounds nice. It slows me down a lot, cause ta e tin require different pressure of the index, but sounds nice indeed.
On the other hand I don't really get the tun part. Need more practicing, though!

When I get bored with simple Terekete taketake I also change it a bit.
Could be Terekete taketake taketere ketetake
or adding a Dha or Dhage at the beginning. Simple things.

But after a while the best way to me is to practice a kayda where that variation is used.
My teacher is not happy with my terekete. And if I think that terekete was the subject of the very first lesson I took in India a few years ago....!
It slows me down as well, especially the third phrase with "tunke" ... it sounds best when everything comes out at the same speed which is not easy.

Pascal

PAZ

Reply with quote  #21 
Reading this reminded me of a consern I have, dose any one else when playing fast get a swooping sound? The sound is of my fingers sliding slightly as they come off the tabla.

I focus a lot on getting my fingers to the middle of the sayhi but not so much on getting them off. Maybe speed of tire kite is not only the downward motion of striking but also in the removal of the finger to make space for the next one. The movement is both vertical and slightly lateral.

The swooping is most evident on the middle finger (playing 3 finger tire kite), any one else have this happen to them

I guess I could conserve the lateral energy and reapply it to the vertical for more speed or sound! Love physics.

Paz

Suffering is in the mind,
Ask yourself who suffers,
It is found to be the "I"
Get rid of the "I" and suffering will follow.
Ramana mahashri
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "PAZ"
Reading this reminded me of a consern I have, dose any one else when playing fast get a swooping sound? The sound is of my fingers sliding slightly as they come off the tabla.

I focus a lot on getting my fingers to the middle of the sayhi but not so much on getting them off. Maybe speed of tire kite is not only the downward motion of striking but also in the removal of the finger to make space for the next one. The movement is both vertical and slightly lateral.

The swooping is most evident on the middle finger (playing 3 finger tire kite), any one else have this happen to them

I guess I could conserve the lateral energy and reapply it to the vertical for more speed or sound! Love physics.

Paz

Suffering is in the mind,
Ask yourself who suffers,
It is found to be the "I"
Get rid of the "I" and suffering will follow.
Ramana mahashri
I think the swooping sound will be common to all of us amatuer tabla players a like - I notice the swooping sound particularly on my large 7 inch dayan -

I think practice - keeping it crisp - increasing the strength, speed and smoothness of your tirikits is the only remedy (which I am trying to work on all of the above!!)

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.