INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
This excerpt is from a longer recording and includes the following peshkar.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3294/latifahmedkhanpeshkars.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CD
Latif Ahmed Khan was born in Delhi in 1942 to a renowned family of musicians following the vocal and instrumental tradition of Northern India. He was early attracted to rhythm and started to study the tabla as the age of seven. He became the disciple of the gharana of delhi...He was taught by Ustad Gameh Khan, the khalifa of the delhi gharana. Gameh Khan who had already reached a venerable age in those years, too considerable time to teach his young pupil. But he died before he was to transmit the totality of his knowledge. Faithful to his master's memory, Latif Ahmed Khan preferred to pursue his education with Gameh Khan's son, Inam Ali Khan, and another member of that family, Munu Khan rather than accepting the offer to be taught by Ahmed Jan Thirakwa a renowned master of that time. He gave his first solo concert in 1957 traveling with ravi Shankar 2 years later. In 1972 at calcutta at the end of an eight-day festival, he received the Gold medal discerned by the public for the best performance. He began a solo career in the 70s touring throughout Europe and frequently appeared with the sarod player Amjad Ali Khan. This went on until his untimely death in Delhi in 1989, when his approach to the tabla was about to impose itself as one of the most creative moves in twentieth-century Indian music.
(Does any one know what this bold last sentence is about? Is it a serious statement or simply a rhetorical flourish?)

The recording excerpt (10 minutes) is at

Note carefully that he first improvises for 3 minutes only hinting at the peshkar theme *before* he introduces it formally. He improvises on the phrase dha dha dhin na and around the longer phrase seen above below the peshkar (material has been shamelessly appropriated from a brilliant CD possibly out of print that everyone ought to have in their library of must-haves!).

(As pointed out on the utube video the CD liner notes, including the transcription, was provided by Bruno Caillat, and was recorded in Switzerland).

Enjoy,
(trust me, this is brilliant stuff!)

Pascal
p.s. notice that I my picture is incorrect ... there's only one peshkar here, and the phrase below it is not a seperate peshkar but a significant phrase from the elaboration of the peshkar.

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
It has already been noted above, but it's worth noting again that the peshkar theme is actually not officially announced it seems until about 3 minutes into the recording! To begin with, I did not know that this was allowed. Is anyone aware of other such examples?

The improvisation seems to consists of resonant bols that will constitute parts of the peshkar to be announced. Thus instead of improvising on the peshkar with variations, it's almost as if he is improvising with an eye *towards* constructing a peshkar out of smaller themes and assembling them together right before our eyes! This needs to be confirmed with more listening however, but it's a possibility?

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.