INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
This is one section of a longer tabla solo featuring his version of the standard Dheli kaida (dha te te dha te te dha dha te te...etc.) I've tried to transcribe it as best I could, so suggested corrections are welcome.

Among other things, what makes this performance interesting is a starling sequence of almost 100 tete along the way that he makes musically interesting through accenting certain ones.

My transcription of that section is simply not up to the task of capturing the musicality of that section. For the moment I've only used "te te" but I can't quite tell whether or not he uses some "ke ke" on the bayan to provide some of the accenting in the sequence. I'm curious as to what others think about this.

(it's a relatively short, slightly over 4 minutes).

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #2 
Your transcription looks pretty good -

The only thing is I have a hard time following all your transcriptions written below and reading it (left to right continuous - like karaoke?) - I just can't keep up and it gets me confused and lost -
I can't see the patterns and paltas building, etc.

I know it takes more time - but if written out in teentaal form it will be easier to follow (and decode the bits that you are lost in) - ....

[btw the few little compositions I have transcribed - I always start to write it out in the teentaal form or whatever beat the composition is in - just makes it easier I think!]

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"
Your transcription looks pretty good -

The only thing is I have a hard time following all your transcriptions written below and reading it (left to right continuous - like karaoke?) - I just can't keep up and it gets me confused and lost -
I can't see the patterns and paltas building, etc.

I know it takes more time - but if written out in teentaal form it will be easier to follow (and decode the bits that you are lost in) - ....

[btw the few little compositions I have transcribed - I always start to write it out in the teentaal form or whatever beat the composition is in - just makes it easier I think!]
that's the final step, namely to write it out in normal form, once I figure out where each cycle begins and ends!

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #4 
Yes Pascal - that next step is perhaps the hardest bit ! (unfortunately!)

I look forward to seeing how you go in writting it all out as per teentaal

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.