INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
ilovemusic

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a Saraswati Veena that needs a fret replaced and wax fixed. I live in Irvine, CA. Really appreciate if anyone has referrals to Veena repair technicians who are available to take a look at the repair needed. Even if there are technicians that visit the area occasionally, I would be very interested in their contact info.

This is pretty urgent.

Thank you so much
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
Scott Hackleman visits your area occasionally and knows how to fit veena frets, etc. https://www.hacklemanshop.com/

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 

Thanks much Lars. I contacted him. He visits once a year in summer and is considering a visit in Spring. I will stay in contact with him.

In the meantime, I am also looking for any other technicians who live and operate from the West Coast so I could get it fixed sooner if possible. 

I heard from Alexander Duvel in D.C worldsofmusicusa@gmail.com who said he could help me over Skype so that will be an option if I am not able to find a technician who can lay hands on the Veena for the repair.

vbattar@gmail.com

Reply with quote  #4 
Hello
Did you find anyone in the west coast who can do such Veena repairs?
Regards
ilovemusic

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, I contacted Scott Hackleman  https://www.hacklemanshop.com/ who visited LA in Aug/Sep 2018. We drove to LA with the instrument and he fixed it. He is an amazing person!
vbattar@gmail.com

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you very much - I will contact him🙏🏼
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #7 
Scott Hackleman is an amazingly good sitar/veena fixer. 
I used to take my sitars to him every year when he came to LA. 

Tony Karasek is another great sitar/veena fixer, and he lives in La Mesa, Ca (West of San Diego), which is a bit closer to you.
He used to do work on Pandit Ravi Shankar's sitar, and is awesome. 
His contact info is as follows:
horsley42@gmail.com
http://www.karaseksound.com

Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #8 
Evening friends,

Just went through this very scenario this last fall with a dear old friends Saraswati Veena. - Here's the skinny:

Now I have no idea if Scott has the formula for the fret wax (the Dough) - or the tools necessary - or has performed this VERY time consuming & tedious process - But while researching for my friend I found the following video:

(music accompanying is kinda meh - but the vid is kool)

My friend had all the frets available in a bag & most of the wax in pieces & bits - very dry & crumbly - so all new wax would be necessary & then the JOB - Days of work for those so talented - fret job would cost a bomb.... IF you can find someone to perform the task.

SO - Should anyone need pegs done over or jawari - or any other repairs / tuneups Scott or Tony can fix you up - but should you need a fret job that's what's involved:

hope this helps put Saraswati Veena repair in perspective.
WAY different than tying on rudra veena frets or even reattaching & balancing older wax mounted RV frets that are set with individual blobs of the dough.

Your Friendly
Hamletsghost [cool]

Reply with quote  #9 
Other than tradition, is there any reason a Veena has to have the wax embedded frets?
Surely there is a more stable and easier way to get the frets onto the instrument. 
Why cant they be built into the instrument or tied on like sitar?
It just seems to be a lot more complicated than it has to be. 
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #10 
cwroyds wrote:
"Other than tradition, is there any reason a Veena has to have the wax embedded frets?
Surely there is a more stable and easier way to get the frets onto the instrument. 
Why cant they be built into the instrument or tied on like sitar?
It just seems to be a lot more complicated than it has to be."

Hey ol pal o mine!

Well - being absolutely NO expert in veena (or much of anything - [rolleyes])
I've seen - handled & run sound for the Radel electronic veena a few years back when Lalghudi Vijaylakshmi's all ladies Carnatic orchestra stopped by our center.
(A real treat that)
From what I can remember:
The frets are moveable on a track system
In talking to the artist she carries this on the long trips as it's much lighter - more forgiving of rough handling - has a very acceptable sound (altho admittedly not as deep or resonant as a full sized saraswati veena - but still more than an adequate substitution for the plus' involved) 

Other than that the neck on a full acoustic does not lend itself to tying the frets on.
see any veena pic - the neck is incredibly deep & the frets would tend to rock on the length required - to facilitate tying I believe would take a complete reengineering of the neck profile - which would then require a complete rethinking & learning curve for the player - I just don't think it would sell - way different than an electric sitar

I have both a nightclubber electric sitar from Tony:

http://karaseksound.com/ShowDetails.php?ID=IMG0183

Upon inspection you will see it has a full size neck profile even tho a little shorter.

Additionally I picked up a cool instrument from TK - an old Saraswati Veena that was scuttled years ago & reworked by himself with a sitar neck front.

http://karaseksound.com/ShowDetails.php?ID=IMG0199

Check pics 4 - 5 - 9 etc & check that depth from neck face to back of neck - Origionally Tony had tied sitar frets on & it worked for a little while - the fret thread required became very slack very quickly.
We have scuttled the frets & now it is very playable seated & played fretless like a Vichitra veena or square neck reasophonic guitar with a steel - Or - played with a ceramic slide on the ring finger in a guitar position.

I am working on a way to mount flat frets but will require carving a scalloped mounting plate with 
precisely placed positions to facilitate setting the intonation.

Kinda like the Schneider guitar veena refit seen here:

http://www.schneiderguitars.com/veena.asp

Definitely a project after I retire...

Suffice to say the replacing of scalloped Wax with another type of mounting has been in the works for years - but as of now I have seen no one advertising "HEY - I built a better mousetrap" for this venerable and ancient instrument.

Whatcha think all you woodworkers - amateur & professional luthiers - hobbyists - and lovers of an interesting engineering challenge - you up to the task???

HG[cool]

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.