INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
arthur

Reply with quote  #1 
When moving up and down the neck do you remove your thumb from the back of the neck slightly? I’ve noticed that I do this, primarily so that I don’t “drag” against the fret thread.
fbidris

Reply with quote  #2 
I can tell you what I do, but others may have different ideas. (They almost always do, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.)

I try to avoid doing what you seem to be trying to do: "remove your thumb from the back of the neck slightly." Of course, when you are playing sapat (up and down movement or "playing the scale"), your thumb has to apply less pressure on the back of the neck or your hand won't move. But you don't quite "remove" the hand. A little bit of "dragging" is not going to cause any harm.

You need to find a good teacher who will show you these things.

With regards,
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Arthur,

We're actually discussing this topic in this thread at the moment:

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4750

- Rex
fbidris

Reply with quote  #4 
I was not aware of this thread. Just checked it out, it has good discussions on this topic and related issues.

One other thing. In my earlier post, when I say, "you don't quite remove the hand," I actually mean "you don't quite remove the thumb." I suppose this was obvious to all. Still, I am clarifying so no one is confused.

With regards,
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.