INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
ahirbhairav

Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
If I'm not mistaken, this is actually a demonstration of the 22 Shruti harmonium!

I've mentioned this before a long time ago, but the inventor of the 22 shruti harmonium is Dr. Vidyadhar Oke, and has an excellent series of articles comparing and contrasting the Indian musical scale to the Western musical scale:

http://www.22shruti.com/research_topics_list.asp

Pascal
The 22 shruti harmonium (should have joined this before my previous India trip when I bought my harmonium) does not have a swarmandal built in, which is a feature of the shruti harmonium, created by Pundalik Bhoir. Also, the shruti harmonium does not have the accordion feature.

Rakesh & Friends (Gino Banks, the drummer, tweeted me that they'll be in Oct, so whenever they come here, if they come here.)
Zakir Hussain & company (3/23/14)
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #32 
pbercker

Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
In painful efforts to champion this horrendous instrument many here have forgotten what Indian music is all about and that is, the movements BETWEEN NOTES not whether some clown invents a keyboard that can mimic all those little bits between the main notes as flat & straight!
IT CAN'T & never will, as Indian music is alive. Even Shiv Kumar Sharma on santoor, another NON Indian import, has to BLEND his strings together in clever ways otherwise ICM is not fully possible on an instrument that cannot b(l)end 2 notes, LIKE THE HARMONIUM.

If a musician cannot bend notes he cannot play ICM or any kind of Indian music. :roll:
This is what makes ICM so difficult & yet so rewarding!!

Nick
[english accent begins ...think Michael Caine ... ]
Oy mate! Are you Barmy? Calling that bloke a "clown" ... well that's just not on ... that's not just cheeky ... it's just a load of bollocks if you ask me ...
[english accent ends ...]

There's of course nothing wrong with disliking this new kind of harmonium ... but the insult is utterly gratuitous ...

Quote:
Dr.Oke, a medical doctor, M.B.B.S, M.D (Bombay) and trained in Management/Clinical Research at the London Business School, Wellcome Foundation, Oxford Workshops(U.K), and Duke University in North Carolina (U.S.A); contributed for 28 years in the Pharmaceutical field working as a 'Medical Director/President' for the Indian business of companies such as Burroughs Wellcome, Glaxo, Wockhardt and Nicholas Piramal.

He worked on the panel of experts on the Board of Studies, University of Mumbai and National and International bodies of Pharmaceutical manufacturers in India. At 52 years, he left the Pharmaceutical field to invest life in Music Research
http://www.22shruti.com/about_dr_oke.asp
Quote:
I congratulate Dr.Oke for making a good contribution to the cause of Indian Classical Music and wish him success.

-- Padmashree Pandit Vishwamohan Bhatt
Quote:
I wish him every success in getting a worldwide recognition for his unique achievement.

-- Pandit Shreekrishna Haldankar
Quote:
Stalwarts Who Have Appreciated The 22 Shruti Research & Instruments
KIshore Amonkar, Pt. Ajoy Chakraborthy, Pt. Shiv Kumar Sharma, etc....

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #34 
pbercker

Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Get Ya but appreciated doesn't mean it'll be used in SERIOUS ICM in the near future, if ever.
My point about use of srutis still stands.

Nick
As a solo instrument, quite possibly so, but time will tell. As a better accompanying instrument for serious vocalist and the like, I don't see why not. But also in semi-classical settings there's room for further development I should think, and even just as a useful pedagogical supplement!

PB

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #36 
Djinn Fizz

Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
In painful efforts to champion this horrendous instrument many here have forgotten what Indian music is all about and that is, the movements BETWEEN NOTES not whether some clown invents a keyboard that can mimic all those little bits between the main notes as flat & straight!
IT CAN'T & never will, as Indian music is alive. Even Shiv Kumar Sharma on santoor, another NON Indian import, has to BLEND his strings together in clever ways otherwise ICM is not fully possible on an instrument that cannot b(l)end 2 notes, LIKE THE HARMONIUM.

If a musician cannot bend notes he cannot play ICM or any kind of Indian music. :roll:
This is what makes ICM so difficult & yet so rewarding!!

Nick
Your perspective is wholly predicated on the false idea that ICM is father of all "Indian" music - which is not true. Kirtan is a very old grass roots folk form more than a 100 years old that originally had no relationship to the classical traditions. The most iconic figure in kirtan was Mirabai who composed simple ditties on a one string ektara. Moreover there are many other folk forms that that evolved from animist tribal cultures that still exist in parts of modern India that where they've never seen a sitar or a sarangi, and yet they are just as Indian (if not more so) than the musical forms that evolved from foreign musical traditions were imported from Persia and Afghanistan.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ahirbhairav"

The 22 shruti harmonium (should have joined this before my previous India trip when I bought my harmonium) does not have a swarmandal built in, which is a feature of the shruti harmonium, created by Pundalik Bhoir. Also, the shruti harmonium does not have the accordion feature.

Thanks for pointing out the difference! I had not realized that these are two different instruments! I stand corrected!

Pascal

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #39 
Djinn Fizz

Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Sorry D F but you're totally wrong if you think a person like me who's been doing this for over 30 years will make the simple mistake of saying ICM started it all off.

Shame on you?!!?!? :wink:

Nick
I take it Mate, that this is your roundabout way of conceding that one can in fact make
Indian music without abiding by the rules of Hindustani classical strictures.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.