INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
Does any one know of the pros and cons of the various styles of tabla skins available at raincitymusic.com - Kolkata, Delhi, Benares, or Mumbai styles? They are $60 for each style.

I've gotten 3 tabla skins before from Kala Kendar and have been very satisfied, but I need seven (7!) more tabla skins (4 sizes: 5", 5 1/4, 5 3/8 and 5 1/2) and I'm thinking of getting a few at raincitymusic so that I can compare and contrast sounds.

Kala Kendar sells the Delhi ($25), Benares ($38), and Kolkata ($54) from Mukta Das which they esteem highly.

I have already purchased one 5 1/4 Delhi head which sounds quite good, and a 5 1/2 and a 5 3/4 Benares style which both sound extremely good and highly resonant (more so than the Delhi style). I've not yet tried the Kolkata style from Mukta Das though I also have what I assume is a kolkata style 5 3/4 which sounds absolutly superb (I assume it's Kolkata since it is braided and has the 5 inch pig tail still on).

What I find a bit confusing is that each style at raincitymusic.com is $60 which suggest they are each of comparable quality, while there is a price variation at Kala Kendar suggesting that the quality goes up as the price increases.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions from experienced users?

Pascal Bercker
St Peters Missouri

p.s. I've reheaded my tablas with nylon strap, and I must confess that it seems to me far superior to the traditional straps. 1) The tuning is far more stable and also 2) more delicate in that it's easier to bring the pitch up or down and 3) almost impossible to break and can safely increase the tension on the tabla head and since its absolutely uniform throughout its length it's much easier to achieve a more uniform tension all around the tabla head which makes for a better sound.

p.s. I am still looking for a 4 1/2 tabla shell ... seems impossible to find!!

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
Our price reflects cost which is the same on all the styles. It's actually all made in either Kolkata or Delhi just in the style you want. I'd recommend Kolkata style, for one though shipping is expensive as we have it made on order and airshipped it right to you via FedEx. For a few it would be less of course. Tabla players are fortunate in that there are a number of good makers out there, tabla is not a main section of ours but I've had great results over 12 years and it's reliable. Do note the Kolkata heads are not as thin as is typical there....I'll have some Benares options soon as well. Happy hunting.....

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
I've been told the best are from the Muslim makers in Varanasi, Niaz, Imtiaz etc. They even send them to Kolkatta & Delhi, they're that good.
Every tabla I bought in Varanasi has been made by them & had a lovely tone.

Nick
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lars"
Our price reflects cost which is the same on all the styles. It's actually all made in either Kolkata or Delhi just in the style you want. I'd recommend Kolkata style, for one though shipping is expensive as we have it made on order and airshipped it right to you via FedEx. For a few it would be less of course. Tabla players are fortunate in that there are a number of good makers out there, tabla is not a main section of ours but I've had great results over 12 years and it's reliable. Do note the Kolkata heads are not as thin as is typical there....I'll have some Benares options soon as well. Happy hunting.....

Lars
I'm curious as to why you would recommend Kolkata style? (by the way am I correct that Kokata style heads have that characteristic pig tail braid uncut ?)

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lars"

Lars
I'm curious as to why you would recommend Kolkata style? (by the way am I correct that Kokata style heads have that characteristic pig tail braid uncut ?)

Pascal
Purely my own personal bias.......

Lars

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.