INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
assingh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I came across this old news but found it to be very interesting.

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_kishori-amonkar-served-notice-by-tabla-player_1073115
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "assingh"
Hello,

I came across this old news but found it to be very interesting.

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_kishori-amonkar-served-notice-by-tabla-player_1073115
At first I half-expected a story about a concert where maybe Kishori Amonkar (one of my favorite singers) lost track of the tal and possibly upbraided by a testy tabla player who might have served "notice" by slapping or banging his tabla a few times, which would have been quite a sight in the middle of a concert! But no such luck (so to speak). More prosaically, the story reminds me of the opening paragraph in Aloke Dutta's 1995 tabla book: He writes
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aloke
In the past, tabla players suffered at the hands of their fellow musicians and from their status in society. They had to tolerated humiliation, insults and exploitation. This is still true today. Tabla players are labeled as accompanists, considered second-class citizens of the music world, even if they occasionally play solos. (page 3, Tabla: lessons and practice)
I used to wonder whether or not that was a slight exaggeration, but I wonder no longer when I read (from the story above) Kishori Amonkar quoted as saying:
Quote:
In her reply she also said, “Vocal concert of Hindustani classical music primarily involves delivery of music by the primary artist. It really does not matter who are giving vocal or instrumental support to the performing primary artist while the recital progresses.” (daily news and analysis)
This is a rather coldly stated premise, made all the more surprising in that she's partly talking about her tabla accompanist of some 20 years! I find it a bit startling that someone like Kishori Amonkar who can sing with such seemingly deep and heartfelt emotions could make such a coldly unsentimental statement about supporting artists, including her tabla player of long standing. This ungenerous statement strikes me as clashing with what it means to provide "support" to the primary artist. Or am I being overly sentimental?

Pascal

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #3 
Clearly not fair and the tabla player deserves his fees (and so do any other instrumentalists that were involved in the live show that was recorded)
"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
assingh

Reply with quote  #4 
Pandit Jasraj Maharaj was treated so badly while playing tabla that he left it for singing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasraj
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.