INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
shrutiglawn

Reply with quote  #1 
Whatsup Dogs,

I have recently become interested in a collection of notes that I'm having trouble associating with a specific raga! The ascending scale is SGmDN, and descending is either NDmGS, or NDmGRS. While studying in India, I was told that this raag is called Kaushik Dhwani by my vocal teacher, and he stressed that R is never present. A few days after learning about this raga from him, I was taught a popular composition that accompanies tabla solo performances. This composition seems to have the same makeup as Kaushik Dhwani, but uses R in its descent.

Kaushik Dhwani, as I recognize it:

A variant of the tabla accompaniment I learned:

A video I found a while ago that seems to use similar notes, but is named Dagori (or Deepki):

I also have a recording of Ustad Shahid Parvez Khan playing what is called Raag Malu. Although I can detect the use of Pa, the composition he plays seems to stress the notes used in Kaushik Dhwani. This recording is on the same CD that contains an hour long recording of Pooriya Kalyan, if that helps...

I am looking for any information that you may have regarding Kaushik Dhwani, and any of the pieces I have mentioned + supplied. If you have recordings of this raga or a similar one, that would also be greatly appreciated. I really love the makeup of this raga, and any information helps.

thanks,
Daniel
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
I have a UK radio recording of said raga of the late Ustad Salamat Ali Khan & His now late son Sharafat Ali Khan on esnips. Check it there.

Nick
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Here's a link to this radio recording on my mediafire folder. Enjoy this as it really is a lovely rendition.

http://www.mediafire.com/?icwliajnvmw

Nick
shrutiglawn

Reply with quote  #4 
Much appreciated, Nick. I skimmed over the recording, and it sounds excellent. I'll give it a serious listen soon though. Thanks a lot.

Daniel
shrutiglawn

Reply with quote  #5 
With a little bit of research, I seem to have answered a few of my own questions regarding this raga.
On Deepak Raja's website, he writes an article about the history and structure of raag Hemant. He goes further to compare it to a raag he refers to as either Bhinna Shadja, Kaushik Dhwani, or Pancham (although Pancham seems to implement the use of komal re). I searched Bhinna Shadja on the Swarganja raga base, and sure enough, there is a section dedicated to it.

Here is a link to the article:
http://swaratala.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html
A link to the raagabase site:
http://www.swarganga.org/raaga_details.php?raagid=37
Uday Bhawalker sings Dhrupad:

Sanjeev Abhyankar sings Khayal:

Again, if anyone has more information/recordings it would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel
Kanti Dattani

Reply with quote  #6 
>>>Daniel wrote on 13.12.09
Again, if anyone has more information/recordings it would be greatly appreciated.<<<

I have the following vocal recordings
Ajoy Chakraborty 30 minutes CD DSAV1009
Ashwini Bhide 21 minutes CD FMR013
Devinder Singh 12 CD VCL01H
Dilshad Khan 8 CDNF025
Ghulam Mustafa 22 CDNF316
Gurtu Shobha/Girija Devi 16 CDNF150192
Jasraj 22 WCD10034
Kishori Amonkar 24 CD PSLP5130
Rashid Khan 15 BIS23 - 15 CDNF150151
Sipra Bose 17 CD BIS56

I also have the instrumental recordings by
Asad Ali 30 CDA97014
Bhatt VM/Tarun Bhattacharya/Ronu Majumdar 10 CDD4HI0548
Rahul Sharma 52 NRCD140
Ronu Majumdar/Tarun Bhattacharya 29 CD D4HI2705
Sachdev GS 26 CD CP102
Shahid Parvez 13 CDNF315
Shivkumar Sharma 48 PSLP5677 - 34 MUS1001
Shivkumar Sharma 60 BHINNA KAUNS (mix of Bhinna Shadja & Malkauns) CD DXL230156

This list excludes CDs I have bought during the past five years - details lost during computer problem! I will update my list one day. Email kantidattani@aol.com for further information. I am not in music business and don't sell CDs.

Kanti
clem alford

Reply with quote  #7 
Bhinna Shadja is the utterang variant of Kaushik Dhwani and Ma is weak according to Raganidhi. Kaushik Dhwani is also called Hindoli. If The Re is added it will become a rare variant or a self composition by the performer. I can't find it in Raganidhi or Ragkosh. Bhatkhande has not listed it either. Since the scope of Kaushik Dhawani is small maybe the added use of Re gives it more scope.!!!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.