INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey all ! I've been busy in the basement putting this sitar together. Thought I'd post the progress pics for you to peruse. I tried posting a Face Book link but that's not working so I'll jam in a load of progress pics. Here's the latest pics.  Nss 035.jpg  NSS 036.jpg  NSS 037.jpg  NSS 032.jpg  NSS 039.jpg  NSS 023.jpg  NSS 024.jpg  NSS 025.jpg  NSS 026.jpg  NSS 027.jpg  NSS 028.jpg  NSS 029.jpg

Attached Images
jpeg NSS 002.jpg (463.06 KB, 17 views)
jpeg NSS 003.jpg (960.54 KB, 21 views)
jpeg NSS 004.jpg (948.61 KB, 20 views)
jpeg NSS 005.jpg (917.84 KB, 21 views)
jpeg NSS 006.jpg (917.26 KB, 23 views)
jpeg NSS 007.jpg (165.90 KB, 23 views)
jpeg NSS 019.jpg (1.23 MB, 23 views)
jpeg NSS 010.jpg (903.80 KB, 22 views)
jpeg NSS 011.jpg (742.22 KB, 21 views)
jpeg NSS 012.jpg (969.32 KB, 22 views)
jpeg NSS 013.jpg (926.35 KB, 26 views)
jpeg NSS 014.jpg (1.06 MB, 26 views)
jpeg NSS 015.jpg (925.28 KB, 26 views)
jpeg NSS 017.jpg (520.43 KB, 25 views)
jpeg NSS 018.jpg (957.79 KB, 25 views)
jpeg NSS 020.jpg (984.46 KB, 24 views)
jpeg NSS 021.jpg (1002.48 KB, 23 views)

Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice to see a new design underway! Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #3 
Looks awesome!
sufimusician

Reply with quote  #4 
Looks so cool. If you dont mind , can i ask measurements ? 
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #5 
Tabli width - 12 1/2" ;  Neck width 3 5/8" . Specific measurements not really critical as gourd size and shape sets the numbers. String length is usually 34" from nut to leading edge of the bridge. Great for C# tuning. If you're building a sitar for D tuning, I recommend shortening that string length to 32 1/2". That helps keep the neck tension and string tension down.

barend

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitar Fixer
String length is usually 34" from nut to leading edge of the bridge. Great for C# tuning. If you're building a sitar for D tuning, I recommend shortening that string length to 32 1/2". That helps keep the neck tension and string tension down.

Looks great Tony. Very curious about the end result!

Do they make sitars with 32 1/2" length these days? And if so what makers do this and which model exactly?
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #7 
I had a 32 1/2" sitar made when I was in Pune / Miraj. It's the "7/8 Sitar". Actual string length is 31 1/4". Tunes to D and E easily which for the fusion crowd and guitar jammers is ideal. The Miraj Homies take orders and have a fairly good success rate going by FaceBook accounts. Waseem Maner, Daljit Singh and Tantuvadya Kendra shops could get such a sitar for you easily, I'm sure.  
barend

Reply with quote  #8 
As you probably remember I have ordered a sitar of one of the Miraj guys once and that was not a succes for me. Woodwork and Looks were great but setup was very poor. And the measurements were not what we agreed on even after 200 or more mails. So I am not sure if I will ever do that again.

Any of the more renowned makers make 32 1/2" sitars? Do VK style sitars in general have a shorter string length than RS style?
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #9 
I have a black "VK" sitar here at the moment. "Rochester" is its name. You Jack Benny fans will appreciate that ! It's string length is right on 34". Good luck ! It's a long shot but quite possibly you could create a floating nut, shift it to the desired new location and see how it all works with fret calibration, taraf peg placement issues. Now THAT would be fun ! ! !
barend

Reply with quote  #10 
I think string length varies greatly between sitars. I have a Barun Roy RS model with 33 1/2" string length and a Hari Chand RS that it 34 1/4". Measured from where the string leaves the jawari until where it enters the first nut. I don't think string length is standardized between makers?
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #11 
Yep ! Everything is eyeballed. Looks about right - go with it. There are nine sitars in the house right now. Some as storage, a build project, two repair pieces and my work force trio. Every one has a different string length. What also rattles me is the failure of the wallas to use basic tools like a square, the concept of a centerline, #320 and finer sandpaper and ears.  We press on !
Lars

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend
I think string length varies greatly between sitars. I have a Barun Roy RS model with 33 1/2" string length and a Hari Chand RS that it 34 1/4". Measured from where the string leaves the jawari until where it enters the first nut. I don't think string length is standardized between makers?

There is no exact standard however a competent maker will have their own measurements for fitting otherwise it wouldn't be possible to drill the sympathetic pegs, etc. correctly. I've sat with many during fitting and it is exact but each has their own way. This is where you see the difference between an actual 'maker' and a carver, etc. trying to make an instrument which you see a lot of now. Half the magic is in the fitting and it takes a good amount of time and experience. Structure thickness and design also play a big part in the final sound.

Lars

Reply with quote  #13 

Did you know that someone can judge your voice within one second of you singing?

The person listening could be an audience member, an audition panel, and it could make or break your ability to succeed in that one instant. But, if by chance you make it past that first second and the audience is still listening to you, there is still the rest of the song to get through.

Your vocal technique can make or break you!

For more than 1000 years, all the way from the Middle Ages troubadours, to John Legend, singers have been enchanting audiences. But, every single singer also knew when an audience was lost...

I have taught hundreds of singing lessons over the past few months, and there is a recurring theme in almost all the new students that walk through the Boulder Voice Lesson studio door.

People take in a big breath, puff up the chest, and I expect to hear a huge loud roaring sound, but sometimes it just comes out more like the sound of a mouse.

By the way…. We teach the Lion sound here at Boulder Voice Lessons… Not so much the mouse sound.

The secret to breathing isn’t so much breathing in (but that is a big part of it) as it is allowing the breath to flow out with a constant and steady flow.

https://www.singing-life.com/online-voice-lessons/

barend

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
This is where you see the difference between an actual 'maker' and a carver, etc. trying to make an instrument which you see a lot of now. Half the magic is in the fitting and it takes a good amount of time and experience. Structure thickness and design also play a big part in the final sound.

Lars

Can't agree more! And that's why I am reluctant to order anything unseen from Miraj. I don't want to say they all are the same but the only experience I had was not good. There is more to a sitar than just the looks. A good fitting and setup is more important.
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #15 
Pick guard, thumb rests and a few extra leaves and grapes added. Coming along nicely. Peg head next. Pics are somewhere here and fer shoor on my facebook page.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.