INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
arnabsarod

Reply with quote  #1 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arnab_sarod

There's a set dedicated to a very nice deep-carved early 1980s Kanailal sitar, a late work of Murari Adhikari. The carving quality isn't in the class of Nityananda and Murari's work from the '60s and '70s, but still quite nice. The sound is very good - classic kharaj-pancham config, ideal for NB style - it has a heavier tabli than most KP sitars. Additional jawari on top end of kharaj and pancham strings can be fitted if required. Price: US $1800 to your doorstep in the US, UK and Europe.

While you are on my Flickr page, please check out a gorgeous surbahar (built c. 1900) attributed to Damodar Adhikari's (Kanailal's father) workshop by the present (third-generation) owner. The sound is gorgeous - loud and clear and not terribly "buzzed out" by the tarabs. This baby is presently under restoration.

Cheers,

Arnab
PS: Contact me at arnabmeister [at] gmail [dot] com if you have queries.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #2 
WOW, that Surbahar is amazing.
The carving and construction is impeccable.
Love those cool frets.
The wood is beautiful.
I would love to hear that thing growl.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Surbahar.
What an absolute MASTERPIECE Yaar!!!!

Sound byte soon please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick
arnabsarod

Reply with quote  #4 
Sorry for such a long silence. The surbahar has been sold to a most deserving buyer who is at once a player with considerable taleem, and a collector.

I promise I'll post some audio clips of the surbahar once the restoration job is complete.

Cheers,

a
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.