INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #16 
Hey sillofthe: Fine vs coarse thread??? Only 2?

Waaaaayyy more than 2
If all else fails borrow or buy a thread pitch gauge (google a pic there’s a million of em & won’t break the bank)
& you can measure the treads per inch. Then you just need the OD of the pipe & you’re set.
If your local hardware or lamp supply store can’t supply you can go to anyone with a tread cutting tool & they can do the deed on whatever pipe material you decide on. (many Ace Hardware stores are set up to thread pipe) Again not horribly expensive to do.
I’d fix you up myself if I had access to the tools.

The downside of this hunt is there are no standard fittings even from the storied makers of old - I’ve seen a number of disparate pipe diameters & thread patterns used on that top tumba pipe over the years - I think they used whatever was handy & available at the time, but if I had to point to one it was usually a more coarse thread on a light brass tube.

now you’ve got me thinking
A quick run to Ace Hardware for a thread gauge & I’ll start measuring all my top tumba’s 😆
Cuz I know my Hemens won’t fit my Rik or my OL Calcutta & visa versa & none of them will fit my Karasek
Good luck

Reply with quote  #17 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamletsghost
Hey sillofthe: Fine vs coarse thread??? Only 2?

Waaaaayyy more than 2
If all else fails borrow or buy a thread pitch gauge (google a pic there’s a million of em & won’t break the bank)
& you can measure the treads per inch. Then you just need the OD of the pipe & you’re set.
If your local hardware or lamp supply store can’t supply you can go to anyone with a tread cutting tool & they can do the deed on whatever pipe material you decide on. (many Ace Hardware stores are set up to thread pipe) Again not horribly expensive to do.
I’d fix you up myself if I had access to the tools.

The downside of this hunt is there are no standard fittings even from the storied makers of old - I’ve seen a number of disparate pipe diameters & thread patterns used on that top tumba pipe over the years - I think they used whatever was handy & available at the time, but if I had to point to one it was usually a more coarse thread on a light brass tube.

now you’ve got me thinking
A quick run to Ace Hardware for a thread gauge & I’ll start measuring all my top tumba’s 😆
Cuz I know my Hemens won’t fit my Rik or my OL Calcutta & visa versa & none of them will fit my Karasek
Good luck

Yeah i thought two was pushing my luck.

The problem is that I don't have access to the screwpiece to measure it, metope who has it says he will do it whenever I ask but he just doesn't.

So I am hoping that someone can identify because they seem to be interchangeable with other murari surbahars (some at least).

I emailed Sctott hackleman as suggested by musicslug but no reply yet...

musicslug

Reply with quote  #18 
I measured the thread on my Muraris: it's 3/4 inch/16 threads per inch. the guy at the store suggested that hollow tubing in this gauge might be electrical-related.

my 2 cents:

- my 1970's (probably) Murari surbahar and 2000's Murari Rudra Vina have the same tubing; it's a pretty good bet it's what you need

- assuming you have access to inch-based hardware, you can verify by buying a 3/4"x16 thread bolt, see if it matches the embedded nut in your surbahar

- if you can't locate 3/4"/16 thread hollow tubing, you might consider just using a bolt, probably with some kind of (wood?) washer to protect the tumba. Scott Hackleman says that it's physical contact that transmits sound, not air flowing through a tube; he's modified at least one Rudra Vina so the gourds screw to the daand by large wooden screws (i.e. not hollow) that are part of the gourd mounts, says it improves the sound over Murari's hollow tube method.

Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #19 
Try Tony K (Sitarfixer) also

If you have the female piece in the neck mounting bracket measure the ID (= the OD of the pipe you need) & the same gauge will measure the treads per inch.
The musicslug 🐌 sounds like he’s on the right track.... if your existing mounting bracket is the same 3/4 ID & 16 threads per inch you’re golden.
Keep on the hunt you’ll be rewarded soon.
😎

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicslug
I measured the thread on my Muraris: it's 3/4 inch/16 threads per inch. the guy at the store suggested that hollow tubing in this gauge might be electrical-related.

my 2 cents:

- my 1970's (probably) Murari surbahar and 2000's Murari Rudra Vina have the same tubing; it's a pretty good bet it's what you need

- assuming you have access to inch-based hardware, you can verify by buying a 3/4"x16 thread bolt, see if it matches the embedded nut in your surbahar

- if you can't locate 3/4"/16 thread hollow tubing, you might consider just using a bolt, probably with some kind of (wood?) washer to protect the tumba. Scott Hackleman says that it's physical contact that transmits sound, not air flowing through a tube; he's modified at least one Rudra Vina so the gourds screw to the daand by large wooden screws (i.e. not hollow) that are part of the gourd mounts, says it improves the sound over Murari's hollow tube method.

BRILLIANT!  Thanks mate, lets hope that is enough detail to create one.  (I have no idea if simply the number of threads is the only determinant factor and not the angle of those threads also but its worth a shot).

Behroo

Reply with quote  #21 
@Sillofthedoor

I received my tumbis today and found the three-fourths inch pipe with a different thread pattern !

So I have to change my Sitar Stem Nuts [frown]
Behroo

Reply with quote  #22 
... just finished replacing the new threaded Brass pipe with the old one onto the tumba , so it easily fits into the existing nut of the daand ! :)

Attached Images
jpeg 1576022163360386619221.jpg (203.46 KB, 7 views)
jpeg 1576022228291-525857637.jpg (107.72 KB, 6 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.