INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Sillofthedoor

Reply with quote  #1 

can anyone help?

I purchased a kanai lal made by Murari a year and a half  over a year ago now from metope, one of our members here.

The sale was less than satisfactory for several reasons a crack in the neck that he didn't think was necessary to mention and i didn't discover till i flew home with it, i should have pulled out on discovering that the price didn't include the case but I got starry eyed and went ahead. the item was covered in dust in a way that suggested years of neglect and no attempt to ready it for sale.....So much of that's on me caveat emptor and all...still.

But what is actually outstanding that should have been easy enough to fix is that as he never supplied the screw piece for the top tumbi.   

he has one, for his own tumbi (while airily stating that the top tumbi adds nothing to the sound he retains it for the use of his own while denying me!) but simply won't supply either a caste, which claims he could do, or the measurements, ditto.  he says he will.  he just doesn't. 

Don't buy from metope, is my experience.  he has nice stuff, but its not worth the trouble.  Customer service  according to him seems to be something the customer does for the seller.  so after no reply to my last email I have given up chasing him.

Anyway, the piece I am talking about is the brass tube threaded to fit the tumbi  into a nut embedded in the neck of the surbahar.   The tube is the most common size in my experience.  same as my  Bashar, my Shahidali, and two previuos sitars a Shristi and a old RKS  I have three tumbi's which interchange with all those sitars, and this is the same diameter. 

the thread however is different. 

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this different thread and recommend or get a measurement of it.   It might be common on murari's surbs?  after all, it fits metopes other Murari surb... grrr.

The alternative is to take the wooden piece off the neck of the surbahar and get a new screw and bolt  but the fitting shows no screws and i don't want have to get into all that...I suppose the tumbi would make vase or salad bowl.  grr.

any ideas appreciated.

barend

Reply with quote  #2 
I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. For such an expensive instrument you would expect better service.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #3 
Off to India in a few weeks. If you send me pics of what you need - want, I should be able to get it there ?!?!?

Is there any of these pieces you can get to me here in the UK before I go?

Nick
musicslug

Reply with quote  #4 
hi - I have a Kanailal surb, but it's older than the ones with Murari's ID plate. I used to have a RKS surb and the threading on its upper tumba didn't match my KL, so I may have the same threaded tube you need. (Murari quite possibly had a bunch of it that he used over the years.) I took the upper tumba to the local hardware store to see if they could ID the thread of the tube. they couldn't, but think that threaded tube is electrical-related ('lamp' something), suggested that a bike shop might be able to help (lots of metric stuff), or taking my tumba to a more specialized store that sells tons of screws/bolts/etc. if you don't have any luck, let me know and I'll try one or both of those places.

Daniel

musicslug

Reply with quote  #5 
I checked the threaded tube on my KL vina (which has the same Murari ID tag as yours) and it's the same - it looks like Murari had a stash of whatever it is. you might contact Scott Hackleman (hackleman@sitar-tabla.com), see if he can help - he worked with Murari. d
Behroo

Reply with quote  #6 
There are two diameter Top Gourd Brass Pipe sizes
1) three fourth of an inch
&
2) Half an Inch.
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #7 
There is also Fine vs Course pipe thread 
[cool]

Reply with quote  #8 
Hey thanks, musicslug, daniel ,  that sound promising...   let me know.  its the thread that needs measuring of course, no idea how to do that....
Sillofthedoor

Reply with quote  #9 

HI Behroo,

Its the thread measurement that is needed though. the pipe is easy enough to measure but the thread is different from my others which are all interchangeable...

Sillofthedoor

Reply with quote  #10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamletsghost
There is also Fine vs Course pipe thread 
[cool]

Fine and course?   only two?  that would make it easy if true...can you elaborate on that at all?

Sillofthedoor

Reply with quote  #11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barend
I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. For such an expensive instrument you would expect better service.

Thanks mate, it happens i guess...

Sillofthedoor

Reply with quote  #12 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicslug
I checked the threaded tube on my KL vina (which has the same Murari ID tag as yours) and it's the same - it looks like Murari had a stash of whatever it is. you might contact Scott Hackleman (hackleman@sitar-tabla.com), see if he can help - he worked with Murari. d

Ok I will ask hackleman, thanks.

Behroo

Reply with quote  #13 
Hi Sil,

I have ordered two old top tumbis(restoration underway) from Miraj, to fit my Vintage Sitars,

once I receive the consignment, will surely ask for the Surbahar threading proportions of your Makes, and help you out !
musicslug

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillofthedoor

HI Behroo,

Its the thread measurement that is needed though. the pipe is easy enough to measure but the thread is different from my others which are all interchangeable...

if Scott Hackleman doesn't have some of that threaded tube (or know what the gauge is), let me know - I can take the wing nut that fits the tubing from my vina to a place nearby, see if they can ID the threading specs.
Behroo

Reply with quote  #15 
If things are not working out, ... an easy option ... a good local lathe machine operator can always help you, to get the desired thread portion cut.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.