pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "dinegine"
There has got to be an aesthetic poetic criteria for kaida

dha te te dha te te dha dha te te dha te te dha te te
ta te te ta te te ta ta te te dha te te dha te te

certainly does not have those qualities
it is fine for riyaz, it is absolutely fine but this cannot be acceptable as a kaida otherwise you can make any permutation of bols in a certain amount of beats and call it a kaida
Again the kaida theme above is from page 236 of David Courtney's FOCUS ON TABLA and he himself got it from Ghagavat Sharan Sharma's book TAL PRAKASH, so it has an authoritative provenance.

Secondly, this is simply the kaida *theme* and in the absence of any further elaboration in the form of variations it is simply not possible for you to legitimately decide that it is not acceptable as a kaida unless you are yourself an expert player (and please say if you are expert or amateur like me!). It is only when such a theme is in the hands of tabla magicians like Anindoji, Zakirji, Tafo khansaheb, and a multitude of others that we can decide on the aesthetics. Moreover, simply because it may not be aesthetically pleasing to *you* does not mean that it is therefore not a kaida. It is simply not a good kaida to *you* which is perfectly fine.

Let me end with a variation of the above kaida which you may - or may not -like, but it's worth a look:
Quote:
dha dha - dha te te dha dha - dha te te dha dha te te
dha dha - dha te te dha dha te te dha ti - dha te te
ta ta - ta te te ta ta - ta te te ta ta te te
This composition sounds more interesting to me and hints at interesting possibilities for syncopation with clever uses of gaps and accents.

Pascal Bercker

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
souvik-tabla

Reply with quote  #2 
i would like to just add without any reference to anyone that kaida is a genre of aesthetical richness. But the aesthetics and application of aesthetics ans applicability of aesthetics are too far shores. You can only feel Aesthetics when its sonic vibration.. otherwise its rich theory.. will post some videos soon on this thread to make things more meaningful..
Thanks..
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "souvik-tabla"
i would like to just add without any reference to anyone that kaida is a genre of aesthetical richness. But the aesthetics and application of aesthetics ans applicability of aesthetics are too far shores. You can only feel Aesthetics when its sonic vibration.. otherwise its rich theory.. will post some videos soon on this thread to make things more meaningful..
Thanks..
I'm not sure I understand just yet where you are going with this idea, but I am intrigued! Please do say a bit more!

By the way, I love your website ...especially the videos! It would be redundant to say that you play fantastically well!

https://sites.google.com/site/souvikdattain/media/video

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Acelga

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "dinegine"
There has got to be an aesthetic poetic criteria for kaida

dha te te dha te te dha dha te te dha te te dha te te
ta te te ta te te ta ta te te dha te te dha te te

certainly does not have those qualities
it is fine for riyaz, it is absolutely fine but this cannot be acceptable as a kaida otherwise you can make any permutation of bols in a certain amount of beats and call it a kaida
Again the kaida theme above is from page 236 of David Courtney's FOCUS ON TABLA and he himself got it from Ghagavat Sharan Sharma's book TAL PRAKASH, so it has an authoritative provenance.

Secondly, this is simply the kaida *theme* and in the absence of any further elaboration in the form of variations it is simply not possible for you to legitimately decide that it is not acceptable as a kaida unless you are yourself an expert player (and please say if you are expert or amateur like me!). It is only when such a theme is in the hands of tabla magicians like Anindoji, Zakirji, Tafo khansaheb, and a multitude of others that we can decide on the aesthetics. Moreover, simply because it may not be aesthetically pleasing to *you* does not mean that it is therefore not a kaida. It is simply not a good kaida to *you* which is perfectly fine.

Let me end with a variation of the above kaida which you may - or may not -like, but it's worth a look:
Quote:
dha dha - dha te te dha dha - dha te te dha dha te te
ta ta - ta te te ta ta - ta te te ta ta te te
This composition sounds more interesting to me and hints at interesting possibilities for syncopation with clever uses of gaps and accents.

Pascal Bercker
A kaida is a kaida, no matter how basic it is.
You can make a begginer kaida very interesting if you are a creative player.

Regarding the "Dha tete dha tete" one,
Zakir plays this kaida live and he makes it sound really good.

min. 13:15
(by the way he is removing again the thread under the kinar, just before playing this kaida -wth...)
it doesn
dinegine

Reply with quote  #5 
'Regarding the "Dha tete dha tete" one,

(by the way he is removing again the thread under the kinar, just before playing this kaida -wth...)
it doesn
pbercker

Reply with quote  #6 
'Regarding the "Dha tete dha tete" one,

it doesn

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.