INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
BrotherLeaf

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi! I've heard about a 'kachua' tambura. I wish to know if they suited for vocal music or they are just a bigger instrumental tambura with a gourd.

Thanks!
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Friend Brotherleaf

Most south Indian tamburas, the smaller 'instrumental' ones most certainly, are flat backed wooden rather than gourd. They rarely seem to be made of a gourd. Most North India ones, however, are gourds. Although I did see several flat backed/wooden in Varanasi as well as a Kachua sitar, I would presume it's more for convenience than anything else.

Sanjay Rikhi Ram makes a flat back gayaki sitar so maybe he makes a similar tambura.
Is this a bit far to get one from though?

Nick
ICM Promotor

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "BrotherLeaf"
Hi! I've heard about a 'kachua' tambura. I wish to know if they suited for vocal music or they are just a bigger instrumental tambura with a gourd.

Thanks!
Hello,

I think I can answer this one, its a Vocal Tanpura, and they are nice! Tony K. makes one. Just a note, we should be stocking them in a few days!

http://www.kalakendar.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_52&products_id=225

BrotherLeaf

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I've seen Tony's katchwa tamburas. Im sure that if my sallary were in dollars I would choose one of those instruments. They look great.

I've heard about a tenor tambura, smaller than a female instrument but a larger than a instrumental one. Does anybody knows how they sound? Are their sound buzzy and ringing like a vocal or they sounds flat like an instrumental?

Thanks again!
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "BrotherLeaf"
Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I've seen Tony's katchwa tamburas. Im sure that if my sallary were in dollars I would choose one of those instruments. They look great.

I've heard about a tenor tambura, smaller than a female instrument but a larger than a instrumental one. Does anybody knows how they sound? Are their sound buzzy and ringing like a vocal or they sounds flat like an instrumental?Thanks again!
Yo Broleaf, I like the idea of the turtle cut tambouras especially in the larger instruments except for vocalist most soloist depend on a person with greator or lesser (read none) experience to accompany them at a session. The large gourd tambouras are very hard to hold when played upright. The distinction you mention regarding the tonal qualities of the different sizes is I think a matter of string tension and the jiva/jawari done to the instruments although it can be said that the large tambouras sound buzzier(is that a word?) due to the size and volume of the resonating chamber. Sitarfixers tamboura at Kala Kendar is a beauty. One of the KarasekSounds trademarks is the extremely fine finish as good as any french polished guitar or violin I've seen. I've purchased 3 instrumental tambouras from Tony and they always had excellent jawari.
The tamboura I have now is a double gourd katchwa cut with 3 bridges and 13 taraf strings I do not believe it suffers from the smaller gourd and it is easier to play, I've found that experimenting with the jawari has the most effect on the tone while the smaller tumbas make it easier to transport and play.

Just as an aside and in my opinion the small instrumental instruments are the ideal for playing behing a melodic instrument, the tambora volume should be barely audible when a sitar etc are playing as they will drown out the nuance of the shruti and raas. Lately I've been experimenting with the influence the sitar or vocal has on the harmonic recipe of the tamboura, it actually does change from the physical vibration of the solo instrument that combined with the psychacoustic phenomena in the perception of sound make the tamboura worthy of more status as an instrument to be carefully tuned and setup to enhance its contribution to an ensemble.
ps I am a bag of gas ops:

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.