INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Kirya

Reply with quote  #1 
JOYEETA SANYAL was born in Kolkata, India and was initiated at a very young age into the art of sitar playing. Through many year of dedicated practice Joyeeta has developed a wonderfully creative urge and a captivating style of playing. She brings forth from the sitar a magical fusion of both soulful, haunting depths and tremendously dynamic heights.

Jayeeta Sanyal – Sitar

As a child, Joyeeta Sanyal was initiated into the art of sitar playing by Deepak Choudhury and later learnt from Kushal Das. She has also imbibed the art of the gayakee ang from Kumar Roy. A recipient of the national scholarship from Central Cultural Resource and Training Centre, New Delhi, she has had several performances to her credit on the concert stage and on television. She has been a scholar of the Academy from December 2005. She initially began training under ITC SRA Guru Manilal Nag. She went on to receive training in the gayaki ang under Pandit Ajoy Chakrabarty and is currently training under Pandit Partha Chatterjee.

Based on the videos I have seen of her she is much better with fast playing than with alap but she does sound special/promising and someone to note for the future.
http://www.firstpost.com/topic/place/kolkata-sitar-recital-4-raag-rageshree-alap-video-YymnGo_B9vI-47648-3.html

Here is a Bageshree

It makes sense to me now that Baba forbid PNB from playing alap for the first 3 years that he studied with him.

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
Enjoyable, very nicely done. Thanks for sharing!

Reply with quote  #3 
so very nice to watch and hear her play...like a flowing stream...a gentle breeze....a gusty wind... women bring a unique quality to playing, when they are this good.
sraman

Reply with quote  #4 
One of the best sitarist I have ever watched in the U tube in several years. She is just fantastic.
Gyurme

Reply with quote  #5 
I am curious to what sitar she is playing, it sounds very lovely in her hands.
Kirya

Reply with quote  #6 
This Sohini is also quite wonderful -- you can very clearly hear the influence of the Nikhil Banerjee approach here

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.