INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarman

Reply with quote  #1 
The Journey with Saraswari DVD is amazing. Just when I thought I had run out of adjectives yo describe the virtuosity of Ustadji, I gind he surprises me again. The rhythms and counter rhythms he employs on the different strings in his Jhalla for the first Alap is priceless.
adunc069

Reply with quote  #2 
Definetly. Javab nahi! It's so nice to see a musician of that stature to still continuosly grow and expand as an artist every year. When I first got into S.P., I thought he was raelly good. But he keeps getting better. I love the Piloo. I think he's going through a Vilayat Khan Piloo gat phase as it's been on every published record and internet recording of Piloo done in the past 2 years. The Shahana, I like the rag alot. How about the wuiet parts in Puriya Kalyan? So quiet but so clear. I had a prof in university who said that if you can play something fast and quiet, then you are in complete control of the instruiment. I think that's the case with S.P. total control of the sitar
sitarman

Reply with quote  #3 
He is the modern day Hendrix of the sitar, and I mean that in the most respectful way. He has taken what used to be considered the limits of technical mastery and sounds for that instrument and expanded it exponentially- with soul, the thing that sets apart true musicians from the mere technical wizards.
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #4 
While he is the best Sitarist alive today, he still has work to do and a couple of strings to add before he can achieve Nikhil-Da's level. But it is an incredible DVD.

Reply with quote  #5 
Sitarmacji, With due respect for another lover of ICM, and please bear in mind that I love NB immensely and bow to his amazing abilities, that jhalla by SP, with the counter rhythms on individual chikaris and symps, in terms of inventiveness, speed, and musical beauty, surpasses anything I have ever heard in a jhalla. This is not one of those My Favorite Sitar Player is Better than blah, blah, blah. It is just an observation and I think indisputable from what i've heard, and that includes many recordings of many masters. Then again, beauty, and for that matter musical emotion, is in the eyes (ears) of the beholder, so I will only talk for myself.
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #6 
Respect given

Reply with quote  #7 
Hello all,
Where is this DVD available : :?:
Jay?
Anyone?

Neal
sitarman

Reply with quote  #8 
Neal, I got it from Adam, a member of this forum who ordered a quantity of them but I imagine it is available. Here's the info:

http://web.mac.com/patrickmoutal/iWeb/Moutal%
20Site/IndianMusicBlog/21C512BA-E954-4174-8138-C6C79014B415.html
adunc069

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi, the DHereDHere video website is up and running now, so you shuold be able to buy it. However, there's about 6 people so far who've asked to buy it, so I can do another bulk order again if people want that. It's cheaper too. Only we could buy the Rimpa Siva video and the Shahid Parvez video too.

Adam

evening84

Reply with quote  #10 
Finally got around to watching the entire performance. INCREDIBLE. I was a bit apprehensive about Piloo because too many sitarists ruin that raag through technical virtuosity but the two gats he played were ever so melodious. Restrained and tasteful tabla sangat as well. I would highly recommend the DVD.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.