INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mayer141

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Guys,

Just doing a Jiwari for someone. I generally 'fall' into achieving a good sound!! anyway this one is proving to be a real pain in the Ghand.
Chikari's are sounding good, but the bass Kharaj has a slight buzz which I've been trying to edge out by 'flattening' the gradient on the leading edge of thebridge for this one string...Am I going about it the right way?!
The main 'Ma' string sounds great in the higher register (I'm looking for a closed Jiwari), yet it's still very open in the lower register (open Ma to Sa). Where should I be looking to close the gradient? The leading edge or the back on the bridge?

Thanks!

Jon
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Yes, flatten the top again although you may have to redo the upper register.

N
mayer141

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Nick!

J
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
For the kharaj string, bend the wire down a bit just behind the bridge slot. That will force the wire more solidly on the bridge surface. The comparitive slack tension of that wire makes it work. Rattle will go away. You can "wipe" the string up over the bridge area if it sounds too dull. In effect, you are doing jawari on the string, not the bridge surface. Also check the depth of the nut slot for that string. It is often too high. Lowering the slot will in a very minute way close the sound a bit but more importantly will help ( not cure) the intonation.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.