INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarjunky

Reply with quote  #1 
Ive recently started learning bahirav mainly in teental but also a bahirav piece in jhaptal (from the famouse ali akhbar book).

this jhaptal is prety much new to me. I know its 2+3+2+3 and I have a tabla machine (thank god) to practice and get used to the rythem.

However I would appreciate any insight on jhaptal you guys might have.

sitarfixer, you said in response to an ektal question:
Quote:
Ektal comes out the clearest up to a medium tempo as a string of 12 beats with 2 tracks. Thinking tabla now, left hand bass, right hand tabla.
Bass hits on 1, 5, 9,11. That marks out a 4-4-2-2 pattern. While that is going on, the right hand hits on 3, 6, 9, 12. That gives a nice syncopated 4 against 6 pattern on the off beat.
any such tabletop demonstration for jhaptal?

cheers of course

Reply with quote  #2 
I have a very simple, but i think, effective way of getting the feel for any tal.

Simply count out loud or out loud in your head when listening or playing : ( stress on bold, unstress on underline)

Ektal

Vilambit: 1 2 3 4, 2 2 3 4, 3 2 3 4,...12 2 3 4

madhya laya: 1 2 1 2 1 2, 1 2 1 2 1 2

very fast: 1 2 3 , 4 5 6

note-last one is not same as dadra which would laways be counted

1 2 3, 1 2 3

Tintal

same as ektal for vilambit but obviously to 16 counts

madhya: 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4

fast: 1 2 3 4 i.e just the claps.

Rupak

all layas: 1 2 3 , 1 2 , 1 2

Jhaptal

all layas: 1 2 , 1 2 3 , 1 2 , 1 2 3

jhaptal is one of those wonderful quasi-symetrical tals like tintal and jhoomra.

later on u can include bols like:

dhi 2 dhi 2 3 , tin 2 dhi 2 3

and so on , u can add more tabla bols, claps, use off beats, and other laya kaari when u get a hang of the rhythms involved.[/b]

try it to the thekas on your machine, and then turn it off and continue counting, see if the rhythm of the tal is still there in your counting.

Reply with quote  #3 
thanks jaan
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.